Decluttering

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
Have been sorting out a lot of stuff here at The Towers in my decluttering attempt and have found, amongst many items:

two brand new un-used pairs of shoes which I had forgotten about;

all sorts of useful stationery which is probably sufficient to rival the stock of W H Smiths (a well known chain of stores for our USA friends);

a bottle of Almond Oil - no use by date nor even a bar code so probably been around for some time - think it was for use of softening ear wax;

that the last lot of mothballs were less efficacious than they might have been as there is a slight moth graze on my very best black overcoat;

but perversely still can not find a 24 inch steel rule I bought last October!

However trips to the tip and charity shop continue but I still want to know how can I lose a rigid steel bar 24 inches long? (60 cms for the decimal amongst us).

That rule is not " down the sofa" is it?? ;) Mind you , I'm downsizing into a small council flat and keep wondering where this or that is. I get the stock answer from the family that " you told me I could take it ,I've got it at home!!"

Last edited:
I need to start a major decluttering and packing project soon, in preparation for remodeling my main bathroom, kitchen and the small room behind the kitchen that serves as back entry/mud room/pantry and that has a powder room partitioned off across one end of the space. Demolition starts in the bathroom on May 4th.

There probably will be a lot of stuff at the back of drawers and on upper cupboard shelves that I no longer use and that can either be donated or that will need to go into the trash. I anticipate many trips to the Salvation Army to drop donations off. Fortunately, they're on the way to the building supply retailer where I'm sourcing most of the materials for the project, and where the project designer works, so the donations won't be a special trip.

I'm eagerly anticipating the results of the project — the kitchen was last updated around 1947. I'm dreading the disruption of having my building contractor and his subs in house for four months, though. I'll be lodging elsewhere for the first month, while the bathroom is out of commission, but will be living in the house the rest of the time. The fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and a makeshift work surface will be set up in the living room, but I plan to eat out a lot.

Marianna

OK Marianna

what is a mud room?

Most of mine have stone or wooden floors - mud does sound a little primitive!

A mudroom is like a porch where you leave your outer wear before entering the main door.

Yes, a mud room is a place where the kids (or men) can track in mud and not get the mess into the rest of the house.

Speaking of de- cluttering I've started sneezing a lot since I started to pack for down-sizing. Am I moving more dust than I thought I had ?? :30: :22:

OK Marianna, what is a mud room? Most of mine have stone or wooden floors - mud does sound a little primitive!

As others have said, it's a space to leave the mud behind upon entering the house. In my case, it's the space just inside the back door which will contain a coat closet with a rack under the hanging space for dry outdoor footwear, a bench to sit on while changing footwear from outdoor to indoor and vice versa, and with space under the bench for a rack to hold wet footwear while it air dries. There'll also be some coat/hat hooks on the wall over the bench to hang things I often grab on the way out the door that are too large to fit in the cubbies that will be installed on one side of the closet: camera, tripod, gym bag, etc. The linoleum floor will be covered by a Water Hog mat to soak up potential slip hazards.

I'll use the space the same way I currently use my makeshift equivalent — leave my indoor shoes under the end of the bench farthest from the outer door, i.e. the clean, dry end of the space, and the outdoor footwear nearer the outer door. That helps to keep the soles of my indoor shoes clean and dry, and goes a long way toward reducing the housecleaning burden.

TMI (To Much Information), I know, but you did ask!

Marianna

I've got a basement full of stuff that I need to go through and, if nothing else, make a space for a rack on which to hang up "hangables" fresh out of the dryer.

I've got a basement full of stuff that I need to go through and, if nothing else, make a space for a rack on which to hang up "hangables" fresh out of the dryer.

Oh, Adanor . . do watch out for the stone worm.

Back