Dick Emery.

Hettie the frustrated spinster would provide a great rival to Marina and Miss Davenport . She was always interviewed with the opening gambit "Hello Madam" to which she'd reply It's Miss . I found the following example

Interviewer: Excuse me, madam.
Hettie: It's Miss!
Interviewer: Miss. May I ask; do you think one should help one's neighbours?
Hettie: Oh yes. I live next door to the rugby club. Their dressing room burnt down last month so I let all those big beastly men use my bedroom to change in.
Interviewer: That's very kind of you. I expect you'll miss them once their changing room has been rebuilt.
Hettie: Not for long. I'm going to burn it down again! :)

There are loads of Snippetts on You Tube. I can't get enough of them or Tommy Cooper who used to divide my family. Some loved him and some hated him Ha Ha

You know the series of shows C5 have been producing about classic comedy shows like Open All Hours etc well they have done one about Dick Emery called the Naughty Bits and more . I have just watched it today and its a fascinating insight into him and certainly his lifestyle his assignations would put Crowcroft to shame . It is available on My5 catchup and is well worth a match for those who are fans.

You know the series of shows C5 have been producing about classic comedy shows like Open All Hours etc well they have done one about Dick Emery called the Naughty Bits and more . I have just watched it today and its a fascinating insight into him and certainly his lifestyle his assignations would put Crowcroft to shame . It is available on My5 catchup and is well worth a match for those who are fans.
Thank you ever so much CC have just watched it, can't believe I've missed it previously. I have to say that I've viewed/listened to some great programmes prompted by your posts on here so that is really appreciated :)

It is fascinating viewing, however it really bugs me that some of the contributors have to caveat their praise every 10 minutes or so with comments like "he was of his time" or "He wasn't politically correct, sexist etc etc...." Why not just celebrate his genius as we all know this was broadcast in the 60's & 70's!!!!!

Dick Emery along with Mike Yarwood and others remain hugely undervalued nowadays sadly. Whilst an artist's level of respect can't be measured in dvd output alone it's telling they have minimal releases compared to the favoured Morecambe and Wise, Two Ronnies etc. Whilst there is still much to enjoy from my birth year of 1981 onwards still the golden years of the great shows and personalities were largely before then. A Carry on film may offend modern sensibilities but can still warm my heart. I'll take 1 Blakey or Albert Steptoe over all of reality tv's so-called stars since their unfortunate creation. These people, just like our favourite barmpots, learnt their craft over many years and if I entertain my audiences just 1% of their level I'm far exceeding my personal expectations.

Dick Emery along with Mike Yarwood and others remain hugely undervalued nowadays sadly. Whilst an artist's level of respect can't be measured in dvd output alone it's telling they have minimal releases compared to the favoured Morecambe and Wise, Two Ronnies etc. Whilst there is still much to enjoy from my birth year of 1981 onwards still the golden years of the great shows and personalities were largely before then. A Carry on film may offend modern sensibilities but can still warm my heart. I'll take 1 Blakey or Albert Steptoe over all of reality tv's so-called stars since their unfortunate creation. These people, just like our favourite barmpots, learnt their craft over many years and if I entertain my audiences just 1% of their level I'm far exceeding my personal expectations.
Another great post Mr Binbin! I can't imagine a 2 hour documentary about the Unforgettable Duane or Chelsea from some reality show of today in 50 years!!!!

I'm thinking that Ricky Gervais is probably the most recent comedian who's versatile enough to be successful in different shows and continued at the top for over 10 years unless I'm missing anyone more recent?

Back