Extras

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering if any of the forum members have ever been extras in the series and if so how they found the experience. Also what scenes and episodes if any have you appeared in so we might see you in action!

i never appeared as an extra but was given the oppurtunity to, unfortunately i couldnt get up to holmfirth that day so had to go on location a different day, i wish i could have been an extra though

While we wait to hear from any extras, I'll go slightly off topic.

According to Alan JW Bell, one of the most costly aspects of the series was not the filming and locations, but the use of extras. Episodes which demanded a crowd or audience in something relatively small like a church hall were shelved. The Man Who Nearly Knew Pavarotti was made as a special to justify the cost.

This seems odd in a way, when you consider fans and locals could play the crowd. I can only imagine discipline would be a problem in a crowd of unskilled extras.

I was lucky enough to be used 4 times as an extra,though one never got shown,they did not call us extra's just background artist,this was all thanks to Alan Bell and often being in the right place at the right time,with all my little background parts if you blinked you will miss them,though I have a nice feeling to of been in the final episode,deep in the background,also my cars appeared twice for longer than I did.

Interestingly it is fun to spot extra's that are actually crew or staff, two I recall having speaking parts,I have even spotted the unit nurse in two episodes and one of the drivers appeared in one episode

Terry

I was lucky enough to be used 4 times as an extra,though one never got shown,they did not call us extra's just background artist,this was all thanks to Alan Bell and often being in the right place at the right time,with all my little background parts if you blinked you will miss them,though I have a nice feeling to of been in the final episode,deep in the background,also my cars appeared twice for longer than I did.

Interestingly it is fun to spot extra's that are actually crew or staff, two I recall having speaking parts,I have even spotted the unit nurse in two episodes and one of the drivers appeared in one episode

Terry

that american women in Variations on a Theme of Fathers Day was a member of the crew werent she Terry, wasnt she summat to do with Alan Bell?

Terry

that american women in Variations on a Theme of Fathers Day was a member of the crew werent she Terry, wasnt she summat to do with Alan Bell?

I thought she was here to look to maybe help funding the show for US TV networks

all i know Terry is when i went on location she was very close to Alan Bell a lot of the time so i thought she was his assistant or summat

i was nearly in an episode from 2001, the one with all of them being stuck together with superglue and the women getting mrs avery to sort that bloke out that barry had to get the money off, the title escapes me at the moment, anyway as a family we was on holiday and decided to stop in holmfirth for the day, we went into the co-op for a toilet break and noticed they was filming, we got as near as we could to the tills they were using which were a few back, unfortunately the scene that was used we was being blocked by the other check outs, but up to 2009 that was the closest i got to being in summer wine, 2009 i could have been but couldnt get there on that day and of course for that series went on location with them

Back