In Service to Humanity

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
Just re-reading Vine's book, and he talks about Gordon
Wharmby being first hired to play the guy on the barn
roof when Foggy takes the ladder. But when I watch it,
it does not look like Wharmby/Pegden. What am I missing??

Just rewatched In Service to Humanity and t'wernt no
Gordon Wharmby innit. Imdb lists the first Wharmby as a
Wesley Pegden in Car and Garter. So what's this that
Vine is about???

As I understood it from an interview by Alan Bell,some years ago, Gordon Wharmby was auditioned for the part of Man on the Roof, but he was so good that he was then asked to try instead for the part of Wesley Pegden in Car and Garter. This was not his first appearance in the show though, he was an extra in 'Forked Lightening' as a man on the bus when Clegg was trying for the second time to take his bike back to the shop. You really need to watch very closely to spot him. I got this info from another quiz set by Mr Bell.

Just re-reading Vine's book, and he talks about Gordon
Wharmby being first hired to play the guy on the barn
roof when Foggy takes the ladder. But when I watch it,
it does not look like Wharmby/Pegden. What am I missing??

Just rewatched In Service to Humanity and t'wernt no
Gordon Wharmby innit. Imdb lists the first Wharmby as a
Wesley Pegden in Car and Garter. So what's this that
Vine is about???

As I understood it from an interview by Alan Bell,some years ago, Gordon Wharmby was auditioned for the part of Man on the Roof, but he was so good that he was then asked to try instead for the part of Wesley Pegden in Car and Garter. This was not his first appearance in the show though, he was an extra in 'Forked Lightening' as a man on the bus when Clegg was trying for the second time to take his bike back to the shop. You really need to watch very closely to spot him. I got this info from another quiz set by Mr Bell.

I have not had a chance to check this but I am sure Sue is correct. Something of a tribute to Alan JW Bell's genius as a director to spot Gordon Wharmby's potential. He was in "Car and Garter" in Bell's Series #6, missing from Series #7 (not Bell) and brought back for the great "The Loxley Lozenge" special which led off Bell's Series #8. (And, yes, he was an extra in "Forked Lightning").

Back