After LOTSW

Open All Hours
Keeping Up Appearances
Fawlty Towers
Dad's Army
Are You Being Served?

;D

Gotta chime in here. We have been watching Dad's
Army series 1-3 (so far), never having seen it before.

We really REALLY love the characters, and the acting is
pretty great too. I have moved this way up my list
of faves, and will look for and buy the rest of the
series. Beats the bucket woman hands down.
Kinda tied with OAH.

This is quite tough as there have been so many but here goes.
After lotsw
In no paticular order

The young ones
Open all hours
Keeping up appearances
Blackadder(series 2)
Only fools and horses

There are many good ones. Lately I have been watching "Mrs Brown's Boys". A bit of swearing involved but very funny. I collect Brit comedies as I am an addict.

Two's Company
Man About the HBouse
The Likely Lads
Father Ted
Please Sir
Doctor in the House
It Ain't Half Hot Mum
Terry and June
Eric Sykes
Billy Liar
That's My Boy
Mr Bean
The Gaffer
You're Only Young Twice
Benidorm

well I could go on and on so i better stop here

I haven't seen any votes for The Old Guys. Our PBS station introduced it a few months back and I love it.

I once saw a hilarious episode of I am Alan Partridge while in flight. I thought it was great but only ever saw one episode.

My knowledge of British shows is limited. There are so many great shows that only ran for two seasons, what a shame. Oh well, here is my tentative top five.

1. Summer Wine
2. Fawlty Towers
3.As Time Goes By
4. Open All Hours
5.The Young Ones
6. The Old Guys
7. Vicar of Dibley
8. Waiting for God
8. Keeping up Appearences
10. Chef

I am not to much into Drama, but I always appreciated BallyKissangel. My PBS Station took it off the air for Larkrise to Candleford (which I could never find interesting). Now it has returned, replacing Larkrise.

I forgot to mention that I don't think of As Time Goes By as the Funniest show ever, but it is great sentimental value for me and my wife as we just love following the characters. Lionel and Jean reminds us of ourselves.

Not living in England I am woefully lacking in experiences in watching most of the comedy series that have been mentioned here. However I have seen these Britcoms (as they call them in the US) and I like the following in the following order:
One Foot In The Grave
LOSW
Keeping Up Appearances
Old Guys

I've also seen Father Ted, but I must say I find this series totally unfunny. I don't think I've laughed out loud through a single episode. I was so disappointed too, because I had read how so many people thought the series was a laugh riot. I found it to be way over the top and filled with gross out humor, seeing the yellow bit of slime that seems to be constantly on the old nutty priest's face is enough to make me look away in disgust alone. Sorry Ted fans, but this series is bad.

Not living in England I am woefully lacking in experiences in watching most of the comedy series that have been mentioned here. However I have seen these Britcoms (as they call them in the US) and I like the following in the following order:
One Foot In The Grave
LOSW
Keeping Up Appearances
Old Guys

Yes. Finally, a vote for the Old Guys. Is it jut us Americans that like the show?

I'm a Yank so don't get to see all the good stuff you Brits get to see. Fortunately, our public TV sometimes airs episodes of some BBC sitcoms (Britcoms as we call them). For me every episode of LOTSW comes ahead of the following:

Keeping Up Appearances
Coupling
My Family
Blackadder (season 2&4)
As Time Goes By
My Hero (except the last season)
Thin Blue Line
The New Statesman (season 1&3)

Porriage
Open all Hours
Keeping up Appearances
To the Monor Born
As Time goes By
Dinnerladies
And I am now starting to get into Outnumbered, but only because I know how they feel :)

Have just had a very quick trawl through and the top one is still

Open All Hours at 14 mentions, followed by Keeping Up Appearances (9), Are you Being Served? (8) and Dad's Army (8).

However I get the impression that Open All Hours may not be seen on Ameican TV, perhaps soembody from that side of the Atlantic could tell me whether or not that is true?

Given that we are fans of SW the position of Open All Hours, also set in an industrial northern setting, is hardly surprising.

Every regional Public Television Station is different. I grew up in the Central Pennsylvania Public Television area. They had a very modest grouping of British shows that did not include Summer Wine or Open All Hours.

One of the greatest things about my move to the Maryland area Suburbs of Washington DC is Maryland Public Television. Their normal staple of daily shows "Afternoon Tea", which they also referred to as "Brit Wit" airs the following programs in this order; Summer wine, Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By and Are You Being Served.

In addition to those shows they often play Fawlty Towers, Vicar of Dibley, Waiting for God, and To a Manor Born on some Saturday evenings.

They exciting news was they added new programs to the weekly line up that they play once a week instead of five times a weeks. These include Chef, Open All Hours, and the Old Guys. Sadly they took Open All Hours off the air early but I really enjoyed it while it lasted.

In addition to Maryland Public Television I get Washington DC Public Television, but they aren't strong on British shows, not airing Summer wine or Open All Hours.

Sorry for the extra long response to your basic question, Barmpot.

Codfanglers - do not worry about a longer response: tells me a little more about American TV. We are fortunate to have much of this stuff on DVD and I recorded all SW off air when broadcast from 1989 onwards and managed to get all the older shows from other stations.

Codfanglers - do not worry about a longer response: tells me a little more about American TV. We are fortunate to have much of this stuff on DVD and I recorded all SW off air when broadcast from 1989 onwards and managed to get all the older shows from other stations.

I certainly like Summer Wine enough to collect all their series on DVD, however, my limited budget keeps me from collecting DVDs and my busy life with work and kids keeps me from having time to watch more than one episode per day (let alone watching the shows in peace where I can catch details, etc.)

I like watching it on Public Television (one episode per day) and going through the chronological order of the show, from Blamire to Hobbo etc. My favorite era is 2000-07 and while I often have to wait a long time to get back to my favorite era, it is such a sweet feeling when Public Television gets back to that time.

I have friends that collect shows on DVD season by season and I know it is a common topic here, but call me crazy.... sometime down the line I am anticipating an ultimate box collection; a large package of the entire series put together! I know that is asking for a lot but I predict that will happen one day (maybe after all individual series are released and they look for another product to sell.

Also, back to American Public Television.... I don't know why certain regions air particular shows. In another topic I commented on Are You Being Served. I can't get into that show but for some reason, any place I ever been in the states has its local Public Television carry that show and Keeping Up Appearances. Any other program is like a bonus for me. I only ever discovered Summer Wine by accident, when my wife would record Keeping Up Appearances for me while I was at work. Summer Wine would come on first, which I only used to catch the closing credits. It never appealed to me until one day my wife told me I have to catch that show with the old guys running around!

British(in no particular order)
Shelley
Rising Damp
Sorry!
Open All Hours
One Foot In The Grave

Honourable mentions for The Fall and Rise Of Reginald Perrin,Terry And June,Waiting For God and George And Mildred

LOTSW is top obviously :)

Back