Northern Flying Circus and motor cycle combinations

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
Watched this one last night - Clegg's idea to get a motorcycle combination from a recently widowed lady which Compo was to drive!

Two questions:

there have been quite few motorcycle combinations: Wally's BSA, another in 'A sidecar named desire' and i seem to recall yet another. Anyone recall which episode?

the second concerns this particular machine. I have checked and there are no images of JWY 452 on the internet. I think it might have been a Matchless 500 or possibly an Ariel as they both used to have a stand which came into use under the rear wheel which is noticeable on this outfit, and would have a 500 cc in their catalogue which would be the minimum for a chair to be attached. *

Having long ridden bikes I am interested in what machine. Any suggestions?

It does occur to me that the registration was a false one so the machine could not be traced: some owners are reluctant to be pestered by people who have seen their vehicle in a TV show or film.

Footnote for bike enthusiasts only:

*I do know that some chairs have been fitted to 350 cc machines but usually underpowered and given the technique for needing to accelerate round one bend (and brake on the other) could be problematic. Anyway the size of the chair would seem to rule out a 350. IMHO! ??? ???

I am also a lifelong motorcyclist Barmpot, so i read your post with interest.
The one in "desire", is a Yamaha SR500 single, i had one of those back in 1984, it was the roadster version of the XT500 Enduro style, which used basically the same engine.

The combo used in the episode "Ludovic", is a Royal Enfield (oilfield, as we used to call them), 700cc Meteor, ideal for pulling the heavy sidecars of the day, as they were used as the daily "get to work" bike and also used for the annual family holiday, as car ownership was too expensive for most working class people back then.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/royal_enfield_meteor_700.html

G ; )

hello folks! There was also the time the trio came upon Smiler pushing a combo that Auntie Wainwright had bought. Wesley fixed it up so Compo could borrow it to take Nora for a spin.

Back