Off to See the Steam Trains tomorrow

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Though they will not be in Steam,but I have a couple of tickets to go see the 6 class A4 Loco's (Mallard and it's sisters) the the NRM in York tomorrow,these allow us in at 8am,so plenty of time to take pictures before the places opens at 10am,Terry

Enjoy yourself Terry tomorrow, i assume your into trains in a big way then?

Enjoy yourself Terry tomorrow, i assume your into trains in a big way then?

I do enjoy seeing Steam though I do not often go out of my way to see them, but as all 6 are together in the UK for a short time, 2 go back abroad early next year one to the USA one to Canada,then it is a rare chance to see the only six remaining all in one place

That's good you enjoy your steam trains, always good to have hobbies isn't it. if there all in one place that all of them are at a distance where you can get to then best to go if you want to. seeing you know your trains Terry you ever heard the name Richard Foster in that world?

Have a great day, not my cup of tea but its going to be a nice weekend so its good to get out and about :)

That's good you enjoy your steam trains, always good to have hobbies isn't it. if there all in one place that all of them are at a distance where you can get to then best to go if you want to. seeing you know your trains Terry you ever heard the name Richard Foster in that world?

No I have not Darren

I just wondered Terry cause he is a family friend and very big in the world of trains, so was thinking of worlds colliding sort of thing ;)

Is one of the trains from the episode "Full Steam Behind"?

No it is not these are big loco's compared to the one the lads drove,though oddly enough one of them did appear in a Dad's army episode, it was supposed to be the train carrying the King

Terry
did you manage to get any pictures?

I was there on Monday but of course not really possible to get any good pictures due to the large crowds. God to see the work done on the American and Canadian visitors.

I was actually thinking it would probably have been only on a Sunday, when there were fewer express trains, that six or more would be on shed simultaneously. As there were only 35 (34 after 1942 when one was destroyed in an air raid) the allocation to Kings Cross and Gateshead would have been about 14 each and 7 for Edinburgh. So six in one place is quite a rarity anyway!

Terry
did you manage to get any pictures?

I was there on Monday but of course not really possible to get any good pictures due to the large crowds. God to see the work done on the American and Canadian visitors.

I was actually thinking it would probably have been only on a Sunday, when there were fewer express trains, that six or more would be on shed simultaneously. As there were only 35 (34 after 1942 when one was destroyed in an air raid) the allocation to Kings Cross and Gateshead would have been about 14 each and 7 for Edinburgh. So six in one place is quite a rarity anyway!

Hi Rod
I was lucky enough to get 2 of limited early morning tickets,so only about 40 people in the hall between 8am and 10pm,I will sort through and mail you some tomorrow,Terry

Had a think about this and checked one of my books. Not sure how representative 1959 was but that year allocation was 19 to Top Shed, 8 to Gateshead and 7 to Haymarket.

Big Unc

I would not dispute those numbers although with some being on other sheds for a variety of reasons, some in works and out in traffic I guess the number actually on shed at any one time would have been relatively few, so six would have been feasible on a Sunday and possibly a lot more on Saturday after midnight.

From my own spotting days I knew of a class of 17 allocated to just two sheds - 9 and 8 - I never found more than three or four actually on shed at any one time; I lived the other side of the tracks to the shed but less than ten minutes away so regularly called in. My grandfather was a platelayer foreman and my father had been a signalman - thus the interest was always there.

However it looked a magnificent bunch: although not the most numerous class of preserved locomotive. There is one which had 75% of its class preserved and apart from classes of one I am not sure if there were any that survived in such quantity.

However it looked a magnificent bunch: although not the most numerous class of preserved locomotive. There is one which had 75% of its class preserved and apart from classes of one I am not sure if there were any that survived in such quantity.

Intrigued - what is the 75% class?

Back