Orange stuff.

RickAns

Dedicated Member
Some orange stuff arrived in the mail from the UK earlier in the week. Wright's Traditional Soap with Coal Tar Fragrance and some bottles of Irn Bru. Found a nice deal on four of each with free shipping.

The soap is very fragrant even after being open and used for several days. I can smell it whenever I walk past the bathroom! I am very glad that the bars are not black as I was thinking it might be with coal tar in the name.

Never having heard of it before I was curious about the soap since I first heard it mentioned by Ivy or Nora during tea time at the Pegden's. I think Barry was mentioned and spots in that conversation. Thankfully I have no skin condition to need special soap. The Wright's description says it can be used as an everyday soap. I hope that is true, if not please let me know. The idea of 'coal tar' in soap had me wondering if it was black and sticky. Not very appealing for a bar of soap, haha!

The Irn Bru is something I saw in some Chewin the Fat skits and was curious what it was about. Seemed to be a popular drink over there. I found it very tasty, reminds me of an orange soda I used to drink as a kid. For some reason I thought it might be more like Gatorade or other power athletic drink.

Finding these online for the same price I could get a normal bar of soap or soda I thought what why not get some and see. All in all I am glad I did. I think the next thing I would like to try is some Yorkshire pudding. :D

What are your thoughts on Irn Bru, coal tar soap and Yorkshire pudding? Am I just plain silly for being curious about them? :21:

What are your thoughts on Irn Bru, coal tar soap and Yorkshire pudding? Am I just plain silly for being curious about them? :21:

IMHO Yorkshire pudding needs to be freshly made to be palatable. I've never attempted it, but in the country house hotels owned by my favorite holiday company, HF Holidays, roast beef, gravy and Yorkshire pudding is one of the menu options on Sundays. It's just out of the oven and absolutely delicious.

I plan to get a muffin / cupcake pan next time I think about it. Then try my hand at baking up some Yorkshire puds. Any advice appreciated.

Irn Bru is the preserve of our Scots neighbours some say it's their National drink , when served with Vodka it goes by the name of a Girder. Yorkshire pudding was the staple of an English Sunday roast dinner until we became Cosmopolitan and we seem to eat any flavour of food but a Roast Dinner . In a bid to boost sales they have now started using them as wraps one supermarket is offering a Christmas Dinner wrap with all the constituent parts of a Xmas lunch in a Yorkshire Pudding wrap I ask you what next !!! Coal Tar soap is the Posh Man's Carbolic .

Any advice appreciated

Oven must be really hot as is the fat you put in the tins , you need to heat it in the oven for at least ten minutes take it out and when you put the batter in it should start to bubble and cook . They say you shouldn't open the oven door until they are cooked as the puds go flat but not sure how truth there is in it . The batter needs to be aerated to make the puds rise so plenty of elbow grease with the old balloon whisk or if you don't have the strength then an electric whisk is a godsend . Some people say you let the batter rest after whisking , some say chill it in the fridge but trial end error will help you get the best pud , good luck !!!

With any luck "Pearl" (Dorothy) will be able to steal a minute to see this thread and to offer Yorkshire pudding preparation advice. She's an expert home cook.

Yorkshire puds were traditionally cooked in the beef fat to make them extra tasty. Personally i like mine as a pudding with jam, lemon and sugar. You can't beat a bit of toad in the hole either !!

I am not fond of Yorkshire pudding. It is not the taste or anything like that, I just think it is a waste to take up room on a plate that could be better filled with more ROAST BEEF!!!!;)

[QUOBrian Johns, post: 213460, member: 339"]I am not fond of Yorkshire pudding. It is not the taste or anything like that, I just think it is a waste to take up room on a plate that could be better filled with more ROAST BEEF!!!!;)[/QUOTE]
Ahh that's where you've been going wrong BJ. You get a Yorkshire Pud so big you put all the roast etc inside it and fill it up with gravy. A bit like an edible plate!

Once upon a time putting the vegetables , roast meat and gravy in a Giant Yorkshire Pud were very popular on all pub grub menus . I believe the name given to it was inspired by Dick's beloved Nottinghamshire Cricket team absolutely pasting Yorkshire in a key Cricket match , hence the name appearing on every Pub menu was ................................................ Stuffed Yorkshire :eek::fp::fp::fp::fp:

Back