The Funny Side of Christmas; How to Ignore Christmas

wstol

Dedicated Member
This was part of BBC programme consisting of specially made mini episodes of series of that time.

Some classic titles include Only Fools and Horses, Open All Hours, Butterflies, Sorry, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Yes Minister, Smith and Jones.

This is a rarely seen programme with some valuable footage. Fortunately the programme can now be viewed over the internet.

All the sketches have carefully been made in the same style of the original programmes.

The LOTSW sketch is about 6 minutes long, and features only the trio. Surprisingly it doesn't feature Nora Batty.

The scene with Compo and the women reminds me of Cheering Up Gordon.

Although this mini episode isn't included in the accepted 295 episodes, it does deserve special mention as it has such strong connections to the actual series.

I've never seen this sketch. Could some kind person link me up to it? I'd be most grateful indeed.

If you go to You Tube and type in 'LOTSW the funny side of christmas' you should see it second from top.

The whole programme is on You Tube, in various parts.

Haha! That was excellent, if only it was 20 minutes longer.

It really could have been a half hour episode, couldn't it? It had the potential. Quite similar to other early Christmas episodes.

It really could have been a half hour episode, couldn't it? It had the potential. Quite similar to other early Christmas episodes.

Yes indeed all the raw materials were there for another enduring Xmas special classic along the same lines as Whoops, Penny Wassail and Up a Fir Tree. That sketch storyline had real potential.

Just came across this! Want to see the Open All Hours one but its not up on youtube. The LOTSW one is though - enjoy!

I was another one who had never seen this before but I have now thanks to ****s link.As others have mentioned this could have made an interesting and fun full length episode.

Thankyou ****

Hector

Isn't it wonderful, that little thrill you get inside when you find one you haven't seen yet? I've seen every episode through season 22 multiple times, but from 23 onward, I've only seen scattered shows, usually when they air on our PBS station. I can't wait to see them all, but when I have, I'm going to miss that excitement of getting to see a "new" one.

I am almost sure that The Funny Side of Christmas was a hidden
extra on one of the earlier BBC discs. Gonna have to
look thru them now to see.

In those early days I was buying unofficial disks from
a guy in Maryland (I think) and trading them with my
friend SteveO who has since vanished from all the
SW web fora. We managed to accumulate a load of
episodes thru judicial buying and trading. Still
watching the discs that have not been superseded by
official BBC discs.

I am almost sure that The Funny Side of Christmas was a hidden
extra on one of the earlier BBC discs. Gonna have to
look thru them now to see.

it is an extra on the Vintage 1995 disc in region 1, its not hidden on it, at the moment its not available on any region 2 dvd

Back