The Spelling of Dewhurst

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
I seem to recall some discussion in the past about the correct spelling of Dewhurst, somewhat influenced by the Series #16 episode, "The Dewhirsts of Ogleby Hall". Mind, it could have been on another forum. Anyway, noted today at the Railway Parcel Office in "The Flag And Further Snags", Foggy very specifically spells it out with a "U".

It seems in Foggy's second phase of LOTSW he became Dewhirst. Probably an Alan JW Bell thing.

In Flag, name spelt out as Dewhurst.

Christmas Special - And a Dewhurst Up a Fir Tree.

In the 90s there's an episode called The Dewhirsts of Ogleby Hall.

Another 90s episode - can't remember the title - Dewhirst is sign-written on a van.

1983 edition of first novel states Dewhurst, as does the 1992 Country Companion book which is based on original scripts.

In Alan JW Bell's book he refers to Foggy as Foggy Dewhirst - though Fir Tree episode listed at back is spelt with a U.

It seems Dewhirst is only used when Alan JW Bell is present.

Another 90s episode - can't remember the title - Dewhirst is sign-written on a van.

1983 edition of first novel states Dewhurst, as does the 1992 Country Companion book which is based on original scripts.

In Alan JW Bell's book he refers to Foggy as Foggy Dewhirst - though Fir Tree episode listed at back is spelt with a U.

Yes, I see what you mean. However, as a convinced believer in the cock-up theory of politics as opposed to the conspiracy concept, I suspect some sub-editor or some such simply mispelt the name in the title of "The Dewhirsts of Ogleby Hall" and Bell simply followed suit in his book. If we think about it, it is not Bell's call but Roy Clarke's.

And, of course, the spelling Dewhurst is the more common.

Yes, I see what you mean. However, as a convinced believer in the cock-up theory of politics as opposed to the conspiracy concept, I suspect some sub-editor or some such simply mispelt the name in the title of "The Dewhirsts of Ogleby Hall" and Bell simply followed suit in his book. If we think about it, it is not Bell's call but Roy Clarke's.

And, of course, the spelling Dewhurst is the more common.

Was there one that said Dewhurst nature tours somewhere along the line.

That's the one Unc. Might have to watch that one later. At the moment I am on series 4 on dvd run next episode is Bandit from Stoke on Trent.

I think the first time we see his name written down is on "The Man from Oswestry" - on the kit bag that the bus conductor throws from the bus. That should really be the definative answer to this. You'll need to look at the video though. I can't remember which spelling it had.

I think the first time we see his name written down is on "The Man from Oswestry" - on the kit bag that the bus conductor throws from the bus. That should really be the definative answer to this. You'll need to look at the video though. I can't remember which spelling it had.

Definitely Dewhurst with a "U" there.

Mind, something I just read suggests that over time Dewhurst, Dewhirst and even Dewherst were inter-changeable.

I think Roy Clarke intended Dewhurst.

If you look at the Flag episode, Foggy gets quite sarcastic about the spelling of his name, as if there's only one obvious way to spell it.

From memory, it goes something like this;

Railway man; How do you spell Dewhurst?

Foggy; D E W H U R S T. How do you spell it?

Also, Dewhirst seems like a posh way to spell it, not really in keeping with Foggy's background.

Similarly, Bill Owen's real life wife was Kathie. In Bill Owen's autobiography, his wife is Kathie, and so is 'Kathie Staff'.

Back