The thoughts of forum members thread

D

DJWCFC

Hi everyone, I suggested this to Terry last month that at least once a month one of us forum members write a little piece about the show, it could be about a character, episode or something personal about the show for you. Terry said I go first so tomorrow I will put up my article but wanted to let you all know about it before I put it up, might be a nice fun idea for us all to do.

so here is the article for this thread, if anyone else wants to right something about the show just let me know.

What the show means to me

By Darren Williams

When asked to write this I was thinking what should I write about, this website/forum, the show, the lack of dvd releases for the later series or something else like an episode or character, but I decided to write what this wonderful long running show means to me.
Well to start it needs to be said that I am 24 years old and am proud to say I have watched the show for 23 of those years, yes I’ve watched the show since I was 1, in fact watching Last of the Summer Wine is my earliest memory and whenever I tell people they say what a wonderful memory after I explain my love of the show to them. So what does it mean, well it’s like a comfy jumper, a close friend, a familiar face around you, to me watching the show feels the most normal thing in the world, even during my darkest hours Last of the Summer Wine was the only thing that was the bright thing in my life, I just wish that at the times I have been down to the recording of the laughter track and going on location I had been a bit better, but still those moments have meant so much to me and I will have those memories forever.
Being brought up on the show has done me good I think and has made me have a good sense of humour, over the years my programme choices have changed with growing, but no matter how my taste of TV shows have changed over the years one constant show has been Last of the Summer Wine, despite cast changes over the years due to one reason or another I have remained loyal to the show because it feels a part of me, a little motto of mine is if you were to cut me open, I would bleed Summer Wine and that’s exactly how I feel, no matter how I am or whatever the future holds for me I will always be a Last of the Summer Wine fan no matter what, I do have favourite characters and prefer certain eras of the show but if you sit me down and put on an episode I will always watch it, where else can you get good quality programming with so much choice seeing there is 295 episodes and you know you will have a laugh and not see a violent programme, the show gives me a warm feeling inside every time I watch it.
I am sounding positive about the show and 99% of it is for me, the only downside is the axe, the day the announcement of the show ending and the day of the final episode airing I lost a part of my soul and no matter what happens in life I will never get that back, that’s how much the show means to me, it’s a part of me and I am proud to say I am a massive Last of the Summer Wine fan and that means so much to me, I’m sure there are other fans who feel like that as well on this website.

UPDATE - decided to change it a bit, if you want to write something about the show that means a lot to you then put it up on here, no need to run it past me first

I was going through the forum and ran across this. I have found that if I miss a day or 2 of checking new post they disappear. I would like to say Darren, you being a "lifer" of the show, I can see how it has become a catalyst in your life. You growing up with the show is a rarity in my opinion. I am 48 years old and have been with the show about 2-3 years. I admit, it is a daily ritual for me to put in the DVD and watch a few before I go to work. Then when I get home I watch PBS for the ones I haven't seen yet, before I go to bed. I am like a teenage girl that is goo goo over a heart throb. In my teens it was, Andy Gibb, and Peter Frampton! I love the simplicity of the folks in the town on the show. Walking and looking at the scenery is something I would enjoy,and running into Howard and Marina on those walks!! The friendship of the men, and the support group of the women I could easily fit into. To get away from it all, and just walk and get into a bit of trouble, this would be a lifestyle I could easily fall into. From the beginning I fell in love with the Compo character. He was the underdog, I always back the underdog. He was poorer than poor, yet he had a relationship with people who had jobs. I sometimes wonder, what was Compo doing when Clegg was at work and then went home to his wife? Running the bars and picking up the butch women!.. LOL Compo was a character that everyone could like. I am just getting into the episodes in the early 2000's, entering different 3rd man. I have to admit, in my opinion, it is not the same without Compo. I still pine for my early shows, while working around the house, I will pop in a Blamaire , rather than turning on the radio.
Brenda loves Compo:28:

Back