The White Man's Grave

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
Just watched this episode last night, and it seems to me of all the episodes that featured arguments between Sid and Ivy, this is the one where Ivy was the most vicious towards Sid. She was constantly putting him down and hitting him with trays. All he was doing was trying to repair the electric mixer, and she just wouldn't let up with the insults and physical abuse. I found myself feeling sorry for Sid, as well as Wally for being kept on such a short leash with Nora. Sid and Wally took a lot of abuse from their wives. How could anyone not feel sorry for them? Your thoughts on this episode.

I have always felt sorry for Sid he was always under the cosh with Ivy, nothing he seemed to do was good enough.

I perhaps felt even more pity for Wally who was a poor tormented soul who couldn't make a move without being on the end of some vicious hen pecking from Nora.

Men need a firm hand its a biological fact! How else are they to know their loved if not being hit with trays? Its what the flat cap was made for, it cushions the blow.

Fantastic episode 10/10 :D

Men need a firm hand its a biological fact! How else are they to know their loved if not being hit with trays? Its what the flat cap was made for, it cushions the blow.

Fantastic episode 10/10 :D

Susan, it seems like you have been sitting in on a few too many Ladies' Coffee Times. Especially taking in some of Nora's words of wisdom.

I really felt bad for Wally. Even in the moment (I believe it was Edie and the Automobile) where Nora lost track of Wally and was genuinely concerned. She is so relieved to find him with the dog on the steps and lets out a kind smile. Then she erases that smile right away before Wally can see her happy and verbally abuses him!

Sid could handle it a bit more. He was a bigger guy and had fun verbally jabbing back at Ivy at times.

That was a fantastic scene with Nora and Wally. I think Nora had a lot of wise sayings :)

To be hit by Ivy with a tray is the right of passage for husbands and Nora had developed a marvelous way of grabbing Wally by the scruff of his kneck and then carrying him in the air.What wonderful women and is this the way Yorkshire women are brought up? Both Sid and Wally seemed to do alright but I wouldnt let Sid repair a toaster or microwave its amazing he managed to fry fish and chips on the move.

Clegg did get his once, by accident. Can't remember which episode, but Ivy walloped him by mistake, aiming for Compo.

Clegg did get his once, by accident. Can't remember which episode, but Ivy walloped him by mistake, aiming for Compo.

i think it was in "pole star" when they was pulling compos leg after the vaulting but compo moved quickly and clegg got the tray instead, altho 2 b fair 2 ivy she did looked shocked she hit clegg, dunno if tht was gud acting or bill moved not known 2 the crew 2 get a laugh from the audience

My best WMG bit
Compo(on Nora);I've got my name down for her
Foggy:She's not a council house
Clegg:Well the shape's not dissimilar ;D

This is in the tops of my favorites. The best scene for me is when Ivy comes out of the kitchen and asks what's wrong with Wally.
Compo: he's under the spell of - NORA BATTY !!!
Wally: WHERE?!! WHERE?!!
Look at his eyes,, pure naked terror! HAHA!!!
Oh and C.W.,, Foggy got his share of the tray, He rang her bell, and even though they don't show him getting whacked, I counted about 8 bangs I heard as he was trying to run away. Then Clegg tells Compo "And he did it while taking advantage of every bit of natural cover". HAHA!

Back