Wesley

Montmerency

Just watched an episode on Gold in which Barry had car trouble in his drive and the AA turned up!!! Cant remember the title but it struck me.......Wheres Wesley? Was his passing ever reffered to?

Wesley's passing was noted on the show after Gordon Wharmby's death, but I don't remember when it was first officially noted.

I don't think anyone would want to let Wesley near their car ,smoke was an accesiory required on all his cars.

Wheres Wesley? Was his passing ever reffered to?

I also cannot recall when this was first referred to, but there again over the years as the actors who played well known characters in the series either passed on, or left through ill health or an acting job elsewhere, the tendency was not to make too much of a story of them no longer being around, at least that's the impression I got. For example, I cannot recall any reference to Smiler or Billy leaving other than Tom saying that the former had disappeared.

Am I right in remembering that only Compo got a big send off? Most of the rest who had passed on or left tended to either get no mention or a passing mention later on, like Nora going to Australia, or occasions when Ivy, Nora, Glenda would pause to remember.

When people moved on they didn't get a mention occasionaly Edie would say something about Wesley but not to often,when Billy did not come back knothing was said.Foggy got a mention and storyline ,the postwoman kidnapped him,but he was an important cast member.

IIRC Barry never liked the idea if letting Wesley loose on his newer cars.

The funny thing is that in one of the Summer Wine Chronicles we read of Wesley describing some one in the motor trade in disparaging terms as a 'big hammer merchant', obviously thinking he was better than that!

From what I can remember I think the first time his passing was mentioned was by Edy in The secret Birthday Of Norman Clegg.

Back