Wyatt's Watchdogs

I think I have some of the show here at home,not watched them for a while,the quality is not that good

Yes, I have a few I got off TheBox.bz. They were not up
to SW standards for sure. Kind of a neighborhood
watchdog, sorta like a mild zimmerman without a gun.

I remember watching this (late 80s) when it first came out, I seem to remember it was fairly good. I think it was deemed a flop at the time. Not seen much of it since. I don't think it was ever repeated, certainly not on BBC.

This is the sort of show that needs repeating at a respectable time slot - it would probably become a minor cult, as it's hardly been seen, and they simply don't make stuff like this anymore.

Some shows are repeated far, far too often - yet some are never to be seen again.

I remember seeing this show ,it did not really take off due to the subject and the supporting cast.Brian Wilde,s character was an extension of Foggy but did not transfer.At this time neighbourhood watch was the in thing and the series showed what happened in this activity.I was a member of our local group and it was rather boring and not the subject for comedy.

I remember watching this (late 80s) when it first came out, I seem to remember it was fairly good. I think it was deemed a flop at the time. Not seen much of it since. I don't think it was ever repeated, certainly not on BBC.

This is the sort of show that needs repeating at a respectable time slot - it would probably become a minor cult, as it's hardly been seen, and they simply don't make stuff like this anymore.

Some shows are repeated far, far too often - yet some are never to be seen again.

It may have been a flop but it gave Alan Bell a chance to see Trevor Bannister in action which may have led to Trevor Bannister's being hired to do LOTSW.

I'd have thought there would be endless opportunities for comedy in a programme about neighbourhood watch.

It may have been a flop but it gave Alan Bell a chance to see Trevor Bannister in action which may have led to Trevor Bannister's being hired to do LOTSW.

Aren't you forgetting Alan Bell would have seen Trevor Bannister in "Who's Got Rhythm" and he was very well known in "Are You Being Served".

There should be a channl that exclusively repeats shows that were axed after one series

I agree that some programmes that where made in the 60s and 70s. I am a fan of the late Gerry Andersons work and also programmes like the Avengers, Jason King and the Persuaders etc.

These are very rarely repeated, hoever we are overwhelmed with naseating idiots like Jeremy Vile and the idiot Clarkson to name but two of the people that irritate me ( another list coming on )

Please add your programmes to the list.

There should be a channl that exclusively repeats shows that were axed after one series
[/quote]

Now you're talking.

That is precisely what we need.

There are hundreds of failed sitcoms, some which made it to two or three series, which should be shown again. It's a waste of archive material if no one can see them. Many will have great casts and by good writers.

These programmes need re-addressing. Some are undiscovered classics.

A few of these 'flops' have in recent years made it to DVD. Some actually are quite awful, but they are still intriguing, and better than some of today's rubbish.

You know, this talk about Wyatt's Watchdogs has reminded me of a sitcom from around the same time which starred Kathy Staff.

It was called No Frills. Kathy Staff was the grandmother, Belinda Sinclair (Shelley) was her daughter.

As I recall it was particularly good, but as I mentioned earlier, it probably deserves a revisit.

Another LOTSW star, Brian Murphy, appeared in a few short lived long forgotten sitcoms that may well be undiscovered classics;

The Incredible Mr Tanner, which co-starred Roy Kinnear. I gather this was only made as the death of Yootha Joyce halted the next series of George and Mildred, so this was made instead.

L for Lester, about a driving instructor.

Lame Ducks, which I vaguely remember being about some misfits who had left hospital.

Back