ZED?

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
When did Z come to be used on number plates? I am a non driver so it never really bothered me till now. I know it was not used at one time in case it got mistaken for a 2 . Just lately there seem to be loads passing my flat with letter Z in the number plate.:confused::eyesroll::eyesroll:

Dick,
I,Q and Z cannot be used as part of the area code i.e the first two letters of the registration but Z is allowed in the last three letters of the registration referred to as the random letters

In which case please digest an extract from the excellent Ms Joyce Grenfell teaching Nursery Kids [which we all are at heart]

Oh, hello, Mrs Batty. I'm so glad you could come along. As you see, we're just having a Free Activity Period, and in our Free Activity Period each little individual chooses his or her own occupation. Some are painting, some are using plasticine, and some work at a sand-table. We feel that each little one must get to the bottom of his or her self and find out what he really wants of life.

Who is making that buzzing noise?
Well, stop it please, Rod.
Marianna, dear, come away from the door and get on with your plasticine.
I love to see them so happily occupied, each one expressing his little personality...
Dick - don't do that...
Now, children, I want you all to say 'Good morning' to Mrs Batty. Good morning, Mrs Batty.
No, Terry, not good-bye. Mrs Batty has only just come. You don't want her to go away yet?
No, she hasn't got a funny hat on, that's her hair.
So sorry, Mrs Batty. Sometimes we ARE just a trifle outspoken. We try to encourage honesty, only sometimes it doesn't always...
And this is my friend Pearl, and Pearl is painting such a lovely red picture, aren't you, Pearl? I wonder what it is? Perhaps it's a lovely red sunset, is it? Or a big red orange? :)

Another of my faves ! You have captured the feel of Joyce Grenfell's Nursery School to a " T " I am a sucker for Comedy Records Captain and would listen all the while if I could. I am a huge fan of Spike Jones and Stan Freeburg !!:37::cheek:

Dick,
I,Q and Z cannot be used as part of the area code i.e the first two letters of the registration but Z is allowed in the last three letters of the registration referred to as the random letters
I think Z did occur in Irish plates. ZA was Dublin, ZR Wexford and the other way round AZ was Belfast, RZ was Antrim. Got that from a booklet I have, written I believe by some one with Asperger's Syndrome which is appropriate as there is also a thread on Autism Awareness Week.

Back