1987 Christmas Special; Big Day at Dream Acres

wstol

Dedicated Member
Following on from Getting Sam Home and Uncle of the Bride came the very average Big Day at Dream Acres. Like the previous two feature length specials, this was shot in a similar way all on film, and without studio laughter. Many here don't like to see the shows without the laughter track, yet I think it's right if you're trying to make it look like a movie.

Ray MacAnally guest stars in this, and does a good job.

I don't know what to say about this, only how very average this episode is.

It's certainly over-long.

And very average.

There's nothing 'wrong' with it. It's not the worst episode. Just very average.

I tend to agree that it was not the most absorbing of the feature length ones: Getting Sam Home and Crums probably rate for me as the best of the 'film' length ones.

I quite like it, but it is certainly a bit overlong

It's also the last appearance of Crusher, and the first appearance of Tony Capstick as a policeman.

By the way, does anyone know what the tune that the Brass Band play towards the end of this episode? It's also used for Compo's funeral as they bring the coffin out in "Just a Small Funeral"

Sorry but I really did not like this one at all, I loved Getting Sam Home and Uncle of the Bride, but I could never get into this one. Maybe if it was shorter it would have been ok. ???

Eli was fun though. And Pearl, was that the first time we saw her 'dressed up'? My late mother was convinced that the part was played by another actress!

By the way, does anyone know what the tune that the Brass Band play towards the end of this episode? It's also used for Compo's funeral as they bring the coffin out in "Just a Small Funeral"

Good question that. Could not find "Big Day at Dream Acres" on YouTube but found "Just a Small Funeral". Did not recognise the piece played by the Holme Silver Band. Struck me as being a Brass band standard. Intrigued.

I've just had a listen to it. I don't know. Sounds a bit like an older hymn tune, but I don't know it. I wonder if it was one of Bill Owens own songs, arranged for that performance?

definately the poorest of the 3 films, too long would have worked a lot better as 60 mins than 90, sad to see crusher go he was a great character that had just started to get comfy there and would have been a great foil for the trio in late series when they started doing less, great guest performance by ray mananally which was 1 of a few positives, there were some gud bits, seymour with his speakers on wheels at the beginning is very funny (this was also the last appearance of seymours house in the episode) and eli on the strength game is a very funny scene, but apart from that it didnt have much else to go on except crusher when he gets to dream acres after changing the wheel. 4/10

Not that bad IMO,Crusher lifts the 2cv,and later a donkey IIRC.Like the bit where the donkey followed Eli into the Dream Acres house,then Compo went in after them IIRC,and we hear the donkey trashing the place

By the way...what does IMO and IIRC mean? Sorry for the lack of little
gray cells...
Not `100% but it could be " IN MY OPINION" and "IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY" although some one is bound to correct me if I'm wrong ;D

By the way...what does IMO and IIRC mean? Sorry for the lack of little
gray cells...
Not `100% but it could be " IN MY OPINION" and "IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY" although some one is bound to correct me if I'm wrong ;D

I know the IMO one (My grandaughter told me) but the other one escaped me. Thank you Dick ;D
I think your going to have to have an interprater!! Not just for our fiends abroad but for those of us that don't do text speak :D

Back