A chink in a Battleaxe`s armour.

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
I got to thinking about the more fearful female characters in the series, Pearl, Eadie, Ivy and Nora and I recall that they all at some point showed weak moments of compassion, civility or kindness towards the menfolk. I remember in Return of the Warrior, Ivy gave Foggy a cup of tea on the house and actually said "nice to see you". If anyone can come up with some more of these rare moments we could compile a list, however brief ! :D

Once again in Return of the Warrior Nora tells Foggy that Compo went "arm over tip down my steps" and then says sweetly "Welcome back". ;)

The episode where Edie thinks Wesley has had an accident and then throws her arms around him when he appears(Situations vacant).Also,Sid and Ivy kissing in the café in A Merry Heatwave.There are actually quite a few tender,softer moments through out the programme.

Hector

There were quite a few times that Nora actually melted a little just a slight smile but that was all never for poor old Wally he did not seem to be on her persons to be nice to.In the episode that introduced Wesley she said to a spectator with a smile"Thats my neighbour"and she was wearing a horrible orange hat!

Nora showed Compo compassion in Car and Garder. when she thought he was risking his life racing Wesley's car.

In the episode 'A leg up for Christmas' Pearl shows rarely seen concern for Howard by fainting when Compo declares that Howard is outside in the Hearse.

There was a moment in the episode when Edie was learning to drive that Seymore roped
Wally into giving her a go and Nora went looking for him. He was sitting on the front steps
when she came walking up behind him and gave a brief smile and sigh of relief before saying,
"You needn't think anybody missed ya!"

There was the moment in Uncle of the Bride (what a classic, what was Brian Wilde thinking of?) when Nora lets Wally keep the dog.

The scene when Compo asks Ivy " Ivy, if get a catapult will you help me out with the elastic?" Then he gives her a knicker elastic a yank. She then kicks him out but as soon has the doors closed she gives a big grin as if she quite likes the idea of it. :D

The scene when Compo asks Ivy " Ivy, if get a catapult will you help me out with the elastic?" Then he gives her a knicker elastic a yank. She then kicks him out but as soon has the doors closed she gives a big grin as if she quite likes the idea of it. :D
Compo once told Ivy she had a chest like a proud pigeon, she berated him of course but she then looked in the mirror and smiled at being complimented. ;)

Compo once told Ivy she had a chest like a proud pigeon, she berated him of course but she then looked in the mirror and smiled at being complimented. ;)
Another one between Compo and Ivy is in All Mod Conned. Compo (wearing Wally's motorcycle jacket) has just chased Ivy around the kitchen. Ivy appears saying it's hard to get hold of him in that coat then gives a brief smile before turning serious again. ;D

There were a couple of moments in Just a small Funeral, one where Ivy finds a photo of Sid in her handbag and she smiles for a moment, and another where Pearl sees that Clegg is finding it difficult to deal with Compo`s passing and says to him "chin up", which is a lovely tender moment. :'(

In White Sweater Nora is signing for the solicitors letter and said something to the post woman about him never being quite as bad as everyone thought. Considering the number of brushes she wore out on Compo I thought that was a chink in her armour ;) ???

There was one Christmas episode when Norah and Ivy are having a drink indoors (Norah's i think) and there is a brief reflection as they look up at Wally's photograph. Either 1988 or 1989 I think.

At the end of Brushes at dawn Nora rushes to Compo`s side, asking if he`s alright and kneels down to kiss him :-*

Watching crums this morning and there was a moment when Nora looks at a photo of Wally on her mantlepiece and smiles warmly, I cant ever remember her doing it when he was alive! ;D :D

There is an episode where Foggy holds his breath for so long he collapses back in a heap both Compo and Foggy rush to his aid they are quite concerned holding him up and patting his hand until Foggy gets his breath back !!

Back