A Double for Ivy

me2

Dedicated Member
I watched Variations on a Theme of the Widow Winstanley last night and noticed they used a double for Ivy and I can't figure out why. Near the beginning of the show, Entwistle is working on her electrical connection for the Christmas tree. Ivy (a double really) is at the window finishing up some decorations. She backs up as she studies the decorations then turns and walks in to the kitchen. You never see her face. You can tell it's a double because of the wig. The hair was perfectly in place and had a nice sheen and glow to it. Ivy's hair is always dull with unruly curls, sometimes being frizzy. Ivy came out of the kitchen immediately with her normal hair. I just can't figure out why they would use a double for that short segment. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm guessing this is due to Jane being unable to walk well enough, she looks very unsteady (using the door frame/wall) as she exits the kitchen.

I'm guessing this is due to Jane being unable to walk well enough, she looks very unsteady (using the door frame/wall) as she exits the kitchen.
That was my first thought too and she could have been having a bad day. However, in the same episode she was getting around all right and even on the stepladder at one point so I wondered if it could have been something else. I know the worst of her physical problems came about 4 years later when she missed seven episodes in season 29.

They could have had a miscommunication about the start time to film or she could of had traffic problems. Camera time is expensive and they probably were unable to wait for her. Maybe she had a headache or some other malady that cleared up.

It could well of been Jane was not available at that time,so they used her stand-in until she was,I have seen it several time when watching the filming, one scene outside Aunties, where the ladies pull up outside then march into the shop they were all stand-ins, Roz's stand-in was a young lady maybe 18 years old dressed to look the part, I have seen three different stand-ins used for Alvin,the show must go on

I guess it could have been anything that caused them to use a double. What seemed so odd was that the scene never stopped. The camera stayed steady on shot as the double walked into the kitchen and Ivy immediately walked back into the café. Usually you see a camera shift or a start and stop as they switch from the double to the regular cast member and you know a little time elapsed as they get everyone in place. This scene was continuous. Doubt if even Allen Bell or Ivy would remember why now.

Back