A few members have wondered about living in upstate New York

Marianna

Dedicated Member
A short glossary is in order for folks on the east side of the pond:

Home Depot - a national DIY chain store;
jumpers - cables for starting a car with a dead battery;
10 degrees - Fahrenheit;
Stewart's - a convenience store chain based in Saratoga Springs.

The following was meant as a joke, but it isn't far off the mark.

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you live in Upstate New York.

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in Upstate New York.

If Vacation means going anywhere south of New York City for the weekend, you live in Upstate New York.

If you measure distance in hours, you live in Upstate New York.

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you live in Upstate New York.

If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day and back again, you live in Upstate New York.

If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in Upstate New York.

If you install security lights on your house and garage but leave both unlocked, you live in Upstate New York.

If you carry jumpers in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you live in Upstate New York.

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you live in Upstate New York.

If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph, you're going 80 and everybody is passing you, you live in Upstate New York.

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you live in Upstate New York.

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you live in Upstate New York.

If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in Upstate New York.

If you find 10 degrees 'a little chilly', you live in Upstate New York.

If there's a Stewart's on every corner, you live in Upstate New York.

If you think everyone else has a funny accent, you live in Upstate New York.

If you actually understand these jokes, and forward them to all your Upstate New York friends, you live or have lived in Upstate New York.

Love it :D

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1 What's the difference to New York and New York State?

2 There's an art gallery in New York ( I know there are probably hundreds) its called The Cotton Candy Machine, have you ever been?

Love it :D

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1 What's the difference to New York and New York State?

2 There's an art gallery in New York ( I know there are probably hundreds) its called The Cotton Candy Machine, have you ever been?

"New York", unmodified, usually refers to New York City. With the modifier "State" it refers to the entire state including the city and Long Island. You didn't ask, but with the modifier "upstate" it refers to the state minus the city, Long Island and Westchester County, which is adjacent to the northern boundary of the city and is demographically and culturally so much like the most prosperous sections of the city that it might as well be part of it.

I've never visited The Cotton Candy Machine. Hadn't heard of it before, but based on a quick glance at the web site, it looks like a home for edgy art. It's in Brooklyn, and my few stays in New York City have all been in Manhattan, always for conferences. I made time for a bit of touring near the conference hotels by playing hooky, but have tended to avoid the city otherwise. I'd much rather get my big city fix in Central London, as I feel much more at home there.

So New York New York is the city of New York State?

I like edgy art but not minimalist art, one red dot on a green canvas just doesn't cut it for me.

Lived in Woodstock (and Saugerties as well) back in the 1970's.

Our continuing mantra was sleet-and-freezing-rain.

But we were only "half" upstate.

chuck

Back