A Landlady for Smiler.

The photo captures the epitome of Stephen Lewis you could swap the cap and gabardine for a Bus Inspectors uniform [ On the Buses] or a Railwayman's uniform [ Oh Doctor Beetching] plus any other of the roles he performed and the face would fit . He reminds me of the ethereal Music Hall performer who could effectively do the same act year after year because they were always touring different venues on the circuit.

The photo captures the epitome of Stephen Lewis you could swap the cap and gabardine for a Bus Inspectors uniform [ On the Buses] or a Railwayman's uniform [ Oh Doctor Beetching] plus any other of the roles he performed and the face would fit . He reminds me of the ethereal Music Hall performer who could effectively do the same act year after year because they were always touring different venues on the circuit.

Agree but in each case he fitted the role of a misery well. I am told that in real life he was quite the opposite but the face was made for such roles.

Thinking of Oh Doctor Beeching here was another actor who played similar roles - Paul Shane (Hi de Hi, You rung m'Lord).

Back