A warming feeling

Foggy Dewhurst

Dedicated Member
Hi Everyone

I have noticed in my relatively short time here that we have quite a few non UK members and Summer wine fans, I am quite surprised how many US fans there seem to be as I was not sure that a glimpse into what is/was actually Yorkshire life would appeal to many from outside Yorkshire, let alone the UK! I have a couple of US friends I have known since I was in the army who are now pretty avid fans ( Went from taking the mick out of my accent and drinking tea to becoming almost honorary Yorkshire men themselves ;) )

What appeals most to you guys and girls outside the UK? I am curious. I also love the fact that something like this can bring together people from different countries and cultures, perhaps the key to world piece is in fact Summer wine box sets?

I always liked anything to do with the British countryside. I began by watching All Creatures Great and Small and it progressed from there. The country life always appealed to me plus their cooking.. In Malta we do not have very many LOTSW fans because it is not shown on Maltese tv. We get it on BBC Entertainment once in a blue moon. But I went to the internet years ago and got them all.

For me, I simply like the British humor and style of Comedy. When I was young my dad exposed me to Fawlty Towers and Monty Python. Later as a child Young Ones was aired on MTV (mid 80s). Then there was a little bit of Mr. Bean and about 10 years ago I caught an episode of "I'm Mr. Partridge" in flight and thought it was hysterical.

I discovered this show because it aired right before Keeping Up Appearances and I caught a few glimpses of it by accident. Also, it is important to know that a lot of areas of the US don't air Summer Wine at all. I never saw it in Pennsylvania or Ohio but my moving to the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC was great, because the show is well represented by various Maryland and DC Public television programs.

Now, here is a fundamental difference between American and British sitcoms- and I will criticize both here. American sitcoms drag out too long over time and lose their quality (ex. "The Office".) With British shows- what is going on with so many great comedies only last 12 episodes or so (The Office, The Young Ones, The Old Guys, Fawlty Towers, etc.)?

Part of what makes Summer Wine special for me is longevity. I love watching the shows evolution from the Blamire Years up until 2007. I guess I got a bit of track with your question, Foggy Dewhurst, but let me just say there has been a certain segment of Americans that have a particular liking to British shows and British humor.

It is always very welcoming to find a show that gives you that warm feeling,some show have it from the off,it is there straight away and generally it keeps you watching, in the UK we used to be very good at that and do not have the skills to do that kind of show any-more,probably most of it is down to the TV companies trying to save money and fill our airways with cheap and nasty rubbish that they think we will watch regardless,what we do is rush out and but older TV in dvd's and box sets which still lines the pockets of the TV companies,so they get a win win situation.

More promising is a few of the shows that have been coming from our friends across the pond in the last couple of years,a couple of friends of mine from the states e-mail me every so often with a show that they have seen and I might like,so I trawl the net and have a look,some of it has been very good,maybe not to everyone's taste and normally some months later these shows pop up on our commercial channels,which for me confirms that we cannot make a decent show,so lets buy it in,I do wonder how much of the UK tv shows made today get sold oversea's compared to 20 years ago

It is always very welcoming to find a show that gives you that warm feeling,some show have it from the off,it is there straight away and generally it keeps you watching, in the UK we used to be very good at that and do not have the skills to do that kind of show any-more,probably most of it is down to the TV companies trying to save money and fill our airways with cheap and nasty rubbish that they think we will watch regardless,what we do is rush out and but older TV in dvd's and box sets which still lines the pockets of the TV companies,so they get a win win situation.

More promising is a few of the shows that have been coming from our friends across the pond in the last couple of years,a couple of friends of mine from the states e-mail me every so often with a show that they have seen and I might like,so I trawl the net and have a look,some of it has been very good,maybe not to everyone's taste and normally some months later these shows pop up on our commercial channels,which for me confirms that we cannot make a decent show,so lets buy it in,I do wonder how much of the UK tv shows made today get sold oversea's compared to 20 years ago

I also am wondering about the more modern UK shows. A lot of what we get is from the late 70s, early 80s and then the early 90's. Then there seems to be a gap afterwards. The Old Guys is one of the new shows being aired on US Public Television. It is also worth pointing pout that the Public Television programming is really targeted to a 50 and about audience. However, I am sure there are a handful like myself who watch that are younger than that.

One of the points I made early is that Summer wine is not available throughout much of the US. If all Public Televisions across the country carried it, the show would be much more popular here. Also Terry, you mention your country's TV companies and saving money. When Summer Wine was going off the air I was wondering if the fact that it had an American fan base could save it. If it was able to reach across all of the US maybe it could have been. I read somewhere that "As Time Goes By" lasted longer to serve American stations (at least in Specials geared toward our Public Television). With Summer Wine, I guess there is something about old people running around carefree that appeals to Americans.

As for the Foggy Dewhurst (who started this thread), you would have been so happy with my oldest son. Two years ago (when he was 3) we were driving around in a parking lot. We drove be the backside of a tall, thin, elderly man walking with a cane and a derby. My toddler son said "That's Foggy"! I was quite proud.

I was hooked on the beautiful countryside, the trio getting into trouble and the fact that it is a funny but clean show. I have not watched any US comedies in years.

For me, I simply like the British humor and style of Comedy. When I was young my dad exposed me to Fawlty Towers and Monty Python. Later as a child Young Ones was aired on MTV (mid 80s). Then there was a little bit of Mr. Bean and about 10 years ago I caught an episode of "I'm Mr. Partridge" in flight and thought it was hysterical.

I discovered this show because it aired right before Keeping Up Appearances and I caught a few glimpses of it by accident. Also, it is important to know that a lot of areas of the US don't air Summer Wine at all. I never saw it in Pennsylvania or Ohio but my moving to the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC was great, because the show is well represented by various Maryland and DC Public television programs.

Now, here is a fundamental difference between American and British sitcoms- and I will criticize both here. American sitcoms drag out too long over time and lose their quality (ex. "The Office".) With British shows- what is going on with so many great comedies only last 12 episodes or so (The Office, The Young Ones, The Old Guys, Fawlty Towers, etc.)?

Part of what makes Summer Wine special for me is longevity. I love watching the shows evolution from the Blamire Years up until 2007. I guess I got a bit of track with your question, Foggy Dewhurst, but let me just say there has been a certain segment of Americans that have a particular liking to British shows and British humor.

I totally agree with codfanglers 100%. I have a large collection of British comedy. Many in black and white. But pardon me for saying that the british comedy of today is not the same. I believe the good writers have died or disappeared. Very few of the new ones are good and give you a good laugh..

Also I do not like American comedies. American comedy died after the late seventies. Before that it was fantastic.

I love some American comedies. I enjoy Frasier. Theres a clip on You Tube which I believe is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It's called The Dentist Sketch from the Carol Burnett show. Not much speech, but Harvey Kormans reactions in the chair are priceless.

We are agreeing a lot here, but one thing is that I believe there are still good American comedies. Seinfeld was in the 90's and Curb Your Enthusiasm was later than that. I believe it is ABC that carries The Middle and Modern Family, which I believe have great moments. I recently caught a new comedy on a cable channel the appears good, called Sullivan and Son. So as much as I like British Comedies, I am not ready to dismiss American comedies.

In fact, I am preparing a thread that compares Summer Wine to Seinfeld. Were Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld (the writers) influenced by Roy Clarke and Summer Wine? I will write that soon.

Also, I apologize if I got too off track!

Sorry Codfanglers but I thought Seinfeld was not very funny, its amazing how 2 people can love one program and agree on nothing else. Fun old world really. :D

I suppose thats what makes life interresting :)

Sorry Codfanglers but I thought Seinfeld was not very funny, its amazing how 2 people can love one program and agree on nothing else. Fun old world really. :D

Absolutely right - we are all different, thankfully, and thus our comedy appreciation will vary and it makes for an interesting life ...

I like the differences it makes for good conversation :D
How boring it would be if we all liked the same :(

Ever since this thread was posted I have been trying to think of any CURRENT US comedy I enjoy. When I was working I visited the US frequently and sometimes for long periods. There were several comedy shows I really appreciated and many of them came over here to the UK. Combining a thought from another thread, call me an old softy, but I did find "The Cosby Show" such a gentle joy. Actually, I do not recall that ever being on UK TV. And although it had a war setting there was something so civilised about M.A.S.H. "Taxi", "Cheers" and its offshoot "Frasier" I also much appreciated. I just cannot think of anything coming into their league these days though I do watch far less television.. And I still cannot pin down any current show I like. And I must not forget "The Odd Couple" and from way back, "The Rowan and Martin Laugh In". I suppose "Maverick" was a form of comedy as was "The Dukes of Hazard" and the "Beverley Hill-Billies".

The Cosby show was on TV here for many years I believe Ch 4?! Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I used to enjoy that too, we watched it when my kids were young and it was samething we could all watch together.

I liked Cheers too I have been watching it again on one of the Sky channels and Frasier was hilarious. On the Sony channel there is a comedy on called Until Death with Brad Garrett and Joely Fisher I find that quite funny.

Not to change the subject too much, but Seinfeld might be similar to Summer Wine in that people either think it is the funniest show in the world or they don't appreciate it at all. In some countries it was a hit and not successful at all in other countries. It appears that England is in the latter category.

Also for Big Unc, trying to recall good current US comedies. Well truthfully they don't make near as many as they use to due to the demand for reality shows, etc. The prime time telelvision schedule has changed drastically since the 80's and 90's.

However, I will still recommend Modern Family, The Middle, Sullivan and Son, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. However, this is from the guy that praises Seinfeld so maybe you shouldn't take my advice!

Anyway, back to the original topic, A Warm Feeling. Despite having hundreds of cable channels, whenever I want to watch something relaxing, I go for the British Comedies. I think it takes me away to a dream world. My real life involves a stressful job, financial problems, my wife's hectic work and school schedule, and two demanding little boys. Therefor, take me to Holmsfirth!

Yep, you're right, Codfanglers. Summer Wine is a great escape for me, too. It seems to echo a time when my life was a lot simpler and less demanding than it can be these days.

Codfanglers, I like The Model Family too, I didn't when I first saw it but I get the gist now and its quite funny, I'm also getting into The Middle.
I think America can still make good comedy you just have to look for it. :D

Back