A warming feeling

Not to change the subject too much, but Seinfeld might be similar to Summer Wine in that people either think it is the funniest show in the world or they don't appreciate it at all. In some countries it was a hit and not successful at all in other countries. It appears that England is in the latter category.

Let's stir things up a bit. When you say "England" is that what you mean or are you referring to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland comprising Scotland, England Wales and Northern Ireland. If the latter, to refer to it as England is equivalent to saying Texas when you mean the United States.

I suppose there is a sort of converse. When the word "America" is used it should really be referring to one or two continents (depending on whether you classify North and South as one or two continents) comprising I don't know how many countries and the term United States should be used specifically if it is USA alone to which refernce is being made.

Codfanglers, I like The Model Family too, I didn't when I first saw it but I get the gist now and its quite funny, I'm also getting into The Middle.
I think America can still make good comedy you just have to look for it. :D

It looks to me that both of these (if Susan means "The Modern family") are on SKY 1 HD. I cannot find Sullivan & Son on UK TV but have only looked fleetingly. Sounds a bit like "Cheers". And "Curb Your Enthusiasm" seems to be on Channel 4.

I have tried briefly to check out the Cosby Show on UK TV but have not pinned it down. I must admit I have over the years tended to ignore Channel 4 and Channel 5 though I understand that currently Channel 4 News is highly rated. (I am sick and tired of BBC News giving me their opinions and not the news itself.) I note that Amazon has a DVD Box Set of all Cosby Show episodes in Region 2 format but that it originated in Holland. Must check on LoveFilms holding.

Returning to an earlier theme of mine, my wee stir up and rant, the naming of Holland intrigues me. It came up on a quiz show recently - to be precise, a trivia quiz on a cruise ship. The quiz-master, an Austalian so what would he know anyway, insisted on the answer "The Netherlands". Which is strictly correct, "The Netherlands" or "Holland"? And, how come the language is "Dutch"? The country is, I know, sometimes referred to as The Low Country though I have an idea that designation can take in parts of Belgium.

Returning to an earlier theme of mine, my wee stir up and rant, the naming of Holland intrigues me. It came up on a quiz show recently - to be precise, a trivia quiz on a cruise ship. The quiz-master, an Austalian so what would he know anyway, insisted on the answer "The Netherlands". Which is strictly correct, "The Netherlands" or "Holland"? And, how come the language is "Dutch"? The country is, I know, sometimes referred to as The Low Country though I have an idea that designation can take in parts of Belgium.

"Holland is a region in the western part of the Netherlands. The term Holland is also frequently used as a pars pro toto to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. This usage is generally accepted but disliked by some Dutch people in the other parts of the Netherlands.

From the 10th century to the 16th century, Holland proper was a unified political region, a county ruled by the Counts of Holland. By the 17th century, Holland had risen to become a maritime and economic power, dominating the other provinces of the Dutch Republic.

Today, the former County of Holland consists of the two Dutch provinces of North Holland and South Holland, which together include the Netherlands' three largest cities: country capital Amsterdam; seat of government The Hague; and Rotterdam, home of Europe's largest port."

So now we know - isn't Wikipedia wonderful!

Yes I do mean Modern! Sorry :)
I don't think the Cosby Show is on at the moment, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Cheers is currantly on CBS Drama at 6pm.

Not to change the subject too much, but Seinfeld might be similar to Summer Wine in that people either think it is the funniest show in the world or they don't appreciate it at all. In some countries it was a hit and not successful at all in other countries. It appears that England is in the latter category.

Let's stir things up a bit. When you say "England" is that what you mean or are you referring to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland comprising Scotland, England Wales and Northern Ireland. If the latter, to refer to it as England is equivalent to saying Texas when you mean the United States.

I suppose there is a sort of converse. When the word "America" is used it should really be referring to one or two continents (depending on whether you classify North and South as one or two continents) comprising I don't know how many countries and the term United States should be used specifically if it is USA alone to which refernce is being made.

Thanks for Clarifying Big Unc. Actually I don't recall your comments on Seinfeld but the others who committed on the lack of interest in Seinfeld were not just from Great Britain, but specifically England. Having said that, my references should have been pertaining to the whole of Great Britain anyway. Of course there are times like last night where I post messages late at night and don't always think through every detail. However, I can be more conscious about it now. Yes, Sullivan and Son appears to be influenced by Cheers. I am not saying it is as good as Cheers, but the show just started. My advice (to all) is to simply give it a chance because many times people are out to quickly neglect something new. And to follow up, the US will no longer have as many quality shows as it did in the past (70s, 80's) simply because the demand for sitcoms is less and there aren't near as many produced anymore.

OK, Big UNC. Since your Great Britain and England message I looked into it further, I always thought the Union Jack was the flag of England and then when I saw the white flag with the red cross I was a bit confused, thinking it was a second English flag. Now after doing research I realize the Union Jack is the Great Britain flag! Of course when I think of the Union Jack I think first of Foggy and the Flag and its Snags episodes!

This Sullivan and Son sounds interrest, if its inspired by Cheers I'd love to see it. Who's in it? What is the setting?

OK, Big UNC. Since your Great Britain and England message I looked into it further, I always thought the Union Jack was the flag of England and then when I saw the white flag with the red cross I was a bit confused, thinking it was a second English flag. Now after doing research I realize the Union Jack is the Great Britain flag! Of course when I think of the Union Jack I think first of Foggy and the Flag and its Snags episodes!

Not strictly accurate. The Union Flag is the flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain is one island comprising Scotland, England and Wales. The second biggest island in the British Isles is Ireland comprising the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, the latter being part of the United Kingdom.

There is/was a thought that the flag is the Union Jack only when flown on a ship (on the Jack Staff). Otherwise, it is the Union Flag.That is probably deemed passé now.

It is composed of the flags of England, (the red cross of St George on a white background), the Scottish flag, the Saltire, (the white diagonal cross of St Andrew on a blue background - diagonal because St Andrew in legend was crucified on a diagonal cross Athelstaneford) and the old flag of Ireland (the diagonal red flag of St Patrick against a white background). See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Flag

And let us not go into how one can tell it is being flown upside down - a signal of distress.

Have to agree with many here on the dismal choice of American comedy. MASH is probably the best ever, although it got old when Alan Alda took over all the writing/directing/acting for himself.
I wanted to be British so badly that in '72 I bought a one-way ticket from Oregon to London ($125)....with $400 in my pocket. I've loved British comedy ever since I first saw Monty Python in my Holland Park hotel lobby.
Didn't work out for me to stay, but love of anything British hooked me for life. Summer Wine took me awhile...it followed As Time Goes By, which I liked. I just couldn't get the Northern accent in LOSW.
Now of course, I'm a huge fan. Latest favorite is Life on Mars. I download from TheBox, and I must admit I sometimes wish it had subtitles, so I could get the nuances in both shows !

Hi Everyone

I have noticed in my relatively short time here that we have quite a few non UK members and Summer wine fans, I am quite surprised how many US fans there seem to be as I was not sure that a glimpse into what is/was actually Yorkshire life would appeal to many from outside Yorkshire, let alone the UK! I have a couple of US friends I have known since I was in the army who are now pretty avid fans ( Went from taking the mick out of my accent and drinking tea to becoming almost honorary Yorkshire men themselves ;) )

What appeals most to you guys and girls outside the UK? I am curious. I also love the fact that something like this can bring together people from different countries and cultures, perhaps the key to world piece is in fact Summer wine box sets?

Well, first of all, I want to say that many of us folks from the States can trace their roots to England (the Mayflower and all of that) -- and some can even trace their roots to Yorkshire. So there are many aspects of Yorkshire life that are not so strange after all. And a few years ago, books by James Herriot swept the States and served to give everyone a nice insight into Yorkshire life; and later on they filmed All Creatures Great and Small. And then in addition to LOTSW and ACGAS, there are many other British shows that took place in Yorkshire. And then there is just something about the gentle Yorkshire humor.

PS -- I have been a longtime tea drinker and there were times when I went to put cream in my hot tea (can't even think about hot tea unless there is some cream); people in my office looked at me like I was nuts.

Back