AAAARRRRGGGHHH!

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
Just seen a new Money Supermarket Ad . In this one a gang of builders take on a gang of" bankers" in their shorts.
Can this series of ads get any worse???
Please someone get rid of these adverts!!:33::33::33::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::cautious::cautious::cautious:

I don`t think I could ever use Money Supermarkets after seeing these ads. We turn it off or change channels.

I suppose ad's have gone the same way as TV show's, no talent left in the industry, the car ad's used to amuse me, never told you much about the car, only show you it could leap of walls and travel underwater

Talking of Adverts I see the new Audi Advert is using the theme song from Are You Being Served unfortunately the cars are not "FREE" far from it I imagine.

Just seen a new Money Supermarket Ad . In this one a gang of builders take on a gang of" bankers" in their shorts.
Can this series of ads get any worse???
Please someone get rid of these adverts!!:33::33::33::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::cautious::cautious::cautious:
Not seen this as I tend to watch things via iPlayer or my vast stock of DVDs.

I think I have got to the state where I mentally block all ads. Just no longer notice them.

Was asked in a survey the other week what ads I had talked about! I never talk about ads.

The only ones I recall are Murraymint, Pepsodent, Gibbs SR, Strand cigarettes, Consulate menthol cigarettes, Hamlet cigars, Tide and Daz. Any one guess what decade they were? When I started watching TV!

There are far too many ads these days, they are EVERYWHERE :(
As for any I remember (well from my youth in haggis country anyway), the only two I can think of are ESSO ("The Esso sign means happy motoring" one) and there was another one, I can't remember what it was for
but it included the lines "Swinging" to which was replied "Dodgy" (or something very similar). There are probably a few more that a nudge might remind me of, but I don't like being nudged (or adverts)o_O

Think it was Roses which were advertised by Norman Vaughan one time host of the Golden Shot and London Palladium , swinging and dodgy were his catchphrase , sure it would be him even if it wasn't Roses , but he did advertise them at some point because when he uttered swinging he'd put his thumb up :thumbsup: and thumbs down for dodgy :thumbsdown: and I can picture the Roses ad in my head now , screen frozen at the end of the ad break with Norman in pose with a thumb up.

The thumbs up and down sound right. I can remember my sister (a couple of years younger than me) and I going through a "swinging-dodgy" phase as kids. It became a bit of a "cult" thing for a short period.

When it came out it was groundbreaking, gave us Geordies someone narrating we could identify with, plus of course the laconic delivery of Ray Wilkins . I'm talking about the Tango advert . Sadly people took it too literally and it spawned a spate of people being hurt by idiots who thought they to could slap people in a similar fashion and so it was banned but on its initial airing it was just so different.

tango.jpg

Just remembered the Shell ones with Bing Crosby - you can be sure of Shell

I'm going well, I'm going Shell

And put a Tiger in your tank - was that Esso? Long before Jet and supermarket fuel ...

Esso turned into Exxon -- except, I think, in Canada where it is still called Esso. But the ad is long gone.

The old Cinzano with Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins was a classic as was Hamlet and particularly Gregor Fisher[ Rab C Nesbitt] with comb over in the photo booth

Over here across the Pond, they are currently running a commercial in which the format is operatic with all of the trimmings; costumes, a chorus, a soprano, a tenor, etc. One version takes place on a stage and another version takes place on a bus.

Just watched the SAME Reliable Oil tank truck pulling into
and gassing up tanks at Shell and several other local
brands (some no-name).

Is it really ALL the same gasoline??

probably - but for the UK we use the word petrol. We could almost do with a conversion chart between American English and English English

Back