Actors who appeared over the years in different roles

I think Gordon appeared as a passenger on a bus then he auditioned for Wesley and then we got the part had a nervious breakdown which everyone helped him overcome.

To be more precise, he appeared as a (smiling) passenger on a bus in Forked Lightning. Some years later he auditioned for a part as 'man on roof' in In the Service of Humanity - but instead of that part was offered the much larger part of Wesley in Car and Garter.

Someone recently said that after Gordon Wharmby died, the absence of Wesley was acknowledged in the show.

Anyone know how? I don't remember that.

I think I said that, but I'm going off of what I read in Wikipedia rather than anything I specifically remember.

Yet another example I noticed tonight watching "Going to Gordon's Wedding" (1976). The couple the trio have an uncomfortable moment with while waiting at the house includes John Rutland as the husband. He later sneezes at the wedding. He looked familiar, so I looked him up - turns out he was also Chuffer Enright in "Whoops," the 1981 Christmas special.

Yes i noticed that the other night when watching Gordon's wedding.

Do Gordon Wharmby and Tom Owen qualify? They both appeared as extras before joining the main cast.
Tom Owen counts, but Gordon Wharmby only ever appeared as Wesley.

I did a quiz that Alan Bell set for The Appreciation Society. One question was, 'name Gordon Wharmby's first appearance in Last of the Summer Wine'. The answer was 'man on bus' in the episode Forked Lightening. You need to watch really closely. I think it comes after they try to get on the bus the second time.

I was watching "The Love Mobile" recently and was reminded that Maggie Olrenshaw not only appears in that episode as the woman in the couple with the Love Mobile trailer, but also appeared years earlier as the commodore's girlfriend in "The Flag and Further Snags." And, of course, she was Clegg's mother in First of the Summer Wine.

Not only "The Love Mobile" but also "All That Glitters Is Not Elvis". But I was watching an episode of "Open All Hours" the other day, one I don't recall seeing previously, and I got to thinking that Maggie Ollerenshaw could well have been at her best as Mavis in that Roy Clarke programme.

And I was delighted to note that the lovely milk lady from "Open All Hours", the delectable Barbara Flynn, is in a current ITV comedy, Pat and Cabbage. Realised I missed the first two episodes. Any comments on it?

I was watching "The Love Mobile" recently and was reminded that Maggie Olrenshaw not only appears in that episode as the woman in the couple with the Love Mobile trailer, but also appeared years earlier as the commodore's girlfriend in "The Flag and Further Snags." And, of course, she was Clegg's mother in First of the Summer Wine.

Not only "The Love Mobile" but also "All That Glitters Is Not Elvis". But I was watching an episode of "Open All Hours" the other day, one I don't recall seeing previously, and I got to thinking that Maggie Ollerenshaw could well have been at her best as Mavis in that Roy Clarke programme.

And I was delighted to note that the lovely milk lady from "Open All Hours", the delectable Barbara Flynn, is in a current ITV comedy, Pat and Cabbage. Realised I missed the first two episodes. Any comments on it?

The jury is still out in our house about Pat and Cabbage.

I will try to find time to watch the first two episodes on ITV iPlayer and the third episode live.

I suppose it could be as disappointing as "The Old Guys".

I will try to find time to watch the first two episodes on ITV iPlayer and the third episode live.

I suppose it could be as disappointing as "The Old Guys".
Cant find my original post Big Unc but it was on the lines of " they spoil it by trying too hard to force a laugh".

I just saw the episodev"That Certain SMILE" It was a good episode and I was surprised to see "Smiler but his character was Clem. He is in the hospital and has that same sad depressing personality. I loved it when they brought his dog to cheer him up but they had to tranquilize thedog because it didnt travel well and whenClem looked out the window the dog looked dead. Lol

Great episode.
;D

And I was delighted to note that the lovely milk lady from "Open All Hours", the delectable Barbara Flynn, .....

an apt description of Barbara Flynn - one could understand why Granville liked her ..

To be truthful I would not have minded her bringing my milk either ....

I just saw the episodev"That Certain SMILE" It was a good episode and I was surprised to see "Smiler but his character was Clem. He is in the hospital and has that same sad depressing personality. I loved it when they brought his dog to cheer him up but they had to tranquilize thedog because it didnt travel well and whenClem looked out the window the dog looked dead. Lol

Great episode.
;D
When I first saw Smiler I did wonder if he was Clem from the earlier episode. In the original episode his wife was seen. I took it for granted that Smiler was Clem minus the wife, although I don't ever recall him being referred to later as anything other than Smiler.

Great episode.
;D
When I first saw Smiler I did wonder if he was Clem from the earlier episode. In the original episode his wife was seen. I took it for granted that Smiler was Clem minus the wife, although I don't ever recall him being referred to later as anything other than Smiler.

I am pretty sure that they refer to Clem as Smiler in the the first episode he appears in. According to SW Appreciation Society it was always intended that he was the same person.

ooh ok. Thanks for straightening me out Barmpot!
:D

Great episode.
;D

They are definately the same character. In "A Landlady for Smiler", which is where he became a regular character, he talks about how his wife left him after the little dog died and they discovered that was all they had in common. Oh, and then she asked him if he loved her - classic LOTSW scene there! I'm pretty sure Smiler is later referred to Clem Hemingway at least a few times.

I'm fairly sure that in That Certain Smile, Clem was never referred to as Smiler.

I'm also fairly sure that after That Certain Smiler, Smiler was never referred to as Clem Hemingway.

A pity, because I think Clem Hemingway is a great name.

Definitely the same character IMO, but there were many changes when he returned for A Landlady for Smiler, many of which were explained.

I believe Barbara Young played Lenny's wife and then later as Nora Batty's sister.

I think the Actress who played Mavis poskitt had a brief role in First of the summer wine.

Back
Top Bottom