Ages

me2

Dedicated Member
Most of our Summer Wine characters were not spring chickens when they started on the show.
Which character was the oldest when they appeared in their first episode?
(I will accept two answers because we don't know the exact film date and I had to go by the air date and two characters are so close it's only fair to accept either one.)

Plumping for Sir Norman Wisdom whose first episode I believe was 1995 and Billy Ingleton would have been 80 as Sir Norman was born in 1915 thought about Dora Bryan who was born in 1923 and first episode I think was 2000 making her 77.

Plumping for Sir Norman Wisdom whose first episode I believe was 1995 and Billy Ingleton would have been 80 as Sir Norman was born in 1915 thought about Dora Bryan who was born in 1923 and first episode I think was 2000 making her 77.

I was looking for ages of the regular cast - those that appeared on a regular basis - not just occasionally.
I never considered Sir Norman Wisdom a regular, even though he did appear more than once but not on a regular basis.

Dora Bryan turned 77 just one month after "Last Post and Pigeon", her first episode aired. She is one of the two I'm counting as the oldest regular cast members.

Just to be obtuse I'll say Eric Sykes. :me:
I was looking for ages of the regular cast - those that appeared on a regular basis - not just occasionally.
At 84 he might have been one of the oldest guests.

Joe Gladwin was about 70 when he first appeared.

But Frank Thornton was ABOUT 77 when he joined the show.

Joe Gladwin was about 70 when he first appeared.

But Frank Thornton was ABOUT 77 when he joined the show.

Frank Thornton was the other one I had - He turned 77 just a couple weeks after his first episode aired. "There Goes the Groom"

Back