Blamire,Seymour or Foggy?Who was the best one in the patnership with Compo and C

magpie40

For me,it has to be Foggy.When Blamire(Michael Bates)left and was replaced by Foggy(Brian Wilde),it seemed for the world that Roy Clarke and the producers had pulled a masterstroke by getting him just in time after leaving Porridge.Seymour(Michael Aldridge)was wonderful.He indeed had a few wonderful episodes.However Aldridge's wife was poorly and he left for family reasons to look after her.Then Foggy came back and it worked beautifully once again.

Blamire and Seymour were both very good characters in their own way, but were not around long enough to challenge Foggy who fit in perfectly. I think if they had been in the series for several more years then it would have been interesting to see how their characters would have developed. Having said that, losing Michael Bates at the time was a tragedy as he passed away quite young. Had that tragedy not happened we might never have seen Foggy or Seymour.

I think Compo, Clegg and Foggy are the trio that is remembered and identified the most as LOTSW.

Foggy all the time for me, yes the others were ok as a trio but that was the definitive trio for me, definitely Compo, Foggy and Clegg.

Magpie, you forgot Truly from the list. Truly possibly had the most in common with Compo and Clegg, being more laid back, and good drinker.

Fortunately, all of the third men with Compo and Clegg were brilliantly written and beautifully performed. And as each character was replaced, the new character was given different characteristics - yet all had to follow the basic blueprint outlined by Blamire.

Fortunately, again, as each actor left the show, there was never any question of a different actor playing an old character. This always looks terrible in other sitcoms.

I like all the 'third men', yet Foggy (first stint) is the classic, ultimate. He shouldn't have left when he did (first time round), as the show had reached perfection. Yet we would have been denied meeting Seymour, and that perfect special Uncle of the Bride.

It's quite remarkable when you think about it how fate can be both cruel and kind that even though things worked out well in terms of the history of the third tall man in LOTSW, it could have been so different.

Brian Wilde as Foggy probably wouldn't have happened had it not been for the unfortunate early death of Michael Bates. Brian Wilde was an excellent fit and as Foggy went on to become arguably the one that everyone remembers as the tall one in the LOTSW trio alongside Compo and Clegg. Wilde then left the series because he wanted to try pastures new and up stepped Michael Aldridge who was excellent as Seymour. Wilde then got a second chance after realising that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere, when Aldridge decided to retire to look after his ill wife. Again, had Aldridge wanted to continue there was probably no reason to bring Foggy back. In a sense we only have Foggy because of what happened to the others. However, I've also read that it was Wilde who suggested Frank Thornton as his replacement when he was ill. Wilde was never to return and Truly continued the tradition of the excellent, authoritarian, tall man. For me it ended there, as I don't think Hobbo as the final tall man was up to what had gone before. There again, he never had a Compo to deal with.

It's quite remarkable when you think about it how fate can be both cruel and kind that even though things worked out well in terms of the history of the third tall man in LOTSW, it could have been so different.

Brian Wilde as Foggy probably wouldn't have happened had it not been for the unfortunate early death of Michael Bates. Brian Wilde was an excellent fit and as Foggy went on to become arguably the one that everyone remembers as the tall one in the LOTSW trio alongside Compo and Clegg. Wilde then left the series because he wanted to try pastures new and up stepped Michael Aldridge who was excellent as Seymour. Wilde then got a second chance after realising that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere, when Aldridge decided to retire to look after his ill wife. Again, had Aldridge wanted to continue there was probably no reason to bring Foggy back. In a sense we only have Foggy because of what happened to the others. However, I've also read that it was Wilde who suggested Frank Thornton as his replacement when he was ill. Wilde was never to return and Truly continued the tradition of the excellent, authoritarian, tall man. For me it ended there, as I don't think Hobbo as the final tall man was up to what had gone before. There again, he never had a Compo to deal with.
Well said, but I still tend to favour the Seymour series. :-\ Then again it would not do for us all to be the same, would it?? :)

This may sound strange but I think I like the "younger" foggy episodes first, Seymour second and the older Foggy episodes last. With that I would say I haven't seen all the older Foggy episodes.

well running for such a long time things were bound to evolve...i'm glad some of you mentioned Seymour, I enjoyed his character....but if pushed it has to be foggy the first time around :)

Back