Changes In Main Or Secondary Characters.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
A recent thread as had me thinking.

Can anyone think of a series/program where the main or secondary character was replaced?
Did that program survive?
Did it improve?
Is it ever a good idea to do this?

The one that springs to mind for me is Man Behaving Badly. Not one of my favourites but we watched it anyway. The first series of course with Harry Enfield then being replaced by Neil Morrissey and did well in the ratings.

The other one that springs to mind is Cheers, when Diane Chambers left Rebecca Howe was brought in, not as a barmaid but has owner but still ment as a replacement for Diane. I don't think it want as well after that.

There was "Born & Bred" when James Bolam left and sticking with Bolam there is "New Tricks" where they have all changed bar Denis Waterman. There was Nicholas Lyndhursts wife in "Goodnight Sweetheart". They spring to mind if I think of anymore Pearl I will list them later.

There was "Born & Bred" when James Bolam left and sticking with Bolam there is "New Tricks" where they have all changed bar Denis Waterman. There was Nicholas Lyndhursts wife in "Goodnight Sweetheart". They spring to mind if I think of anymore Pearl I will list them later.

Denis is leaving next season too, I don't think its the same now they've all gone. I wasn't impressed with the last series :(

Denis is leaving next season too, I don't think its the same now they've all gone. I wasn't impressed with the last series :(

I am so pleased that I downloaded and saved all the old New Tricks.
Liked them much better than the new ones.

Same with Born and Bred. Both Bolam and the other Dr Gilder left
and the show was never the same after that.

I am so pleased that I downloaded and saved all the old New Tricks.
Liked them much better than the new ones.

Same with Born and Bred. Both Bolam and the other Dr Gilder left
and the show was never the same after that.

Yes you are right on both counts.

Would you count Uncle Albert replacing Grandad in "Fools & Horses" when he died. I think that one worked ok.

Can you count a change in actor rather than character?

In Potter, Arthur Lowe's Potter was later played by Robin Bailey.

He didn't look anything like him, but was still watchable.

In "I Didn't Know You Cared " Stephen Rea played Carter Brandon. Keith Drinkell who followed in the role did not seem to have the same impact.!! :(

Death in Paradise saw a change in the main character. DI Richard Poole was killed off and DI Humphrey Goodman quickly blended in even becoming a love interest of Camille. Ben Miller who played DI Richard Poole had, of course, to be away from home to film the show. He came home to find that his young son didn't recognize him and apparently decided that it wasn't worth it.

In Keeping Up Appearances - Rose was played by a different actress in series 1 (which seems is rarely screened);

In Open All Hours - Nurse Gladys Emmanuel was played by a different actress in the pilot than the following series which was, of course, Lynda Baron (aka as Lily bless 'er)!

Back