Compo's Saucer

Just to recap for you -
It was earlier than "White Man's Grave"
It was later than "Getting On Sidney's Wire"
It was a special.

I found it interesting that even though they had him drink from the saucer in the Pilot, they went 5 whole seasons having him drink from a cup before finally bringing back the saucer in season 6. Yet we all think of his a drinking from a saucer all the time. It became such a part of him.

Even then though there were still several times he drank from a cup. One being the time Ivy forced him to drink silently from a cup. And the very last time he was shown drinking coffee (or tea) on the show, it was from a cup not a saucer. That's when they were in France where he ordered a drink not a bath. He still got a good slurp out of it though.
I noticed in that picture that Truly and Compo had Blue & White patterned cups and saucers and Clegg had a pink cup and saucer. Wonder if that was because Clegg ordered tea instead of coffee.

I always enjoyed the times at Clegg's house when Clegg would pour the tea into a cup and then apologize and pour it from the cup into the saucer for Compo.

Of course there were many episodes where he never drank from a cup or saucer, but my final totals came up 31 cup or mug and 47 saucer so it makes sense that we remember him drinking from a saucer.

Back