Cooper & Walsh

Who said Roy Clarke wasn't going to do the writing?

I asked if Roy Clarke was going to be writing the show, but didn't get a definite answer.

I'd like to think he would have written it, after all, it's his characters. And Roy used to be a policeman, and also wrote his Penrose/Rosie series which was loosely based on his experiences, I guess.

I take it any stage shows and that with Cooper and Walsh weren't written by Roy Clarke?

I asked if Roy Clarke was going to be writing the show, but didn't get a definite answer.

I'd like to think he would have written it, after all, it's his characters. And Roy used to be a policeman, and also wrote his Penrose/Rosie series which was loosely based on his experiences, I guess.

I take it any stage shows and that with Cooper and Walsh weren't written by Roy Clarke?

I Suppose he could not be asked until it was certain the funds would be available, the stage shows were driven by idea's put forward from the audience which was great as you could go several times and not see the same show

I Suppose he could not be asked until it was certain the funds would be available, the stage shows were driven by idea's put forward from the audience which was great as you could go several times and not see the same show

I think this gives another indication of how the concept of Cooper and Walsh is very different to most shows. I also think that, while it`s understandable, not being able to state who the writers will be is a huge problem. It is the writing that makes a show after all...

I think this gives another indication of how the concept of Cooper and Walsh is very different to most shows.

And I think that therein lies the show's potential problem.

While I do love to see the bobbies doing there cute little schtick
in the middle of an entire show of other characters doing other
things, I have a difficult time visualizing what an entire show
of Cooper and Walsh might be.

I understand Roy Clarke is very protective of his characters, so I would imagine he would at least have to give his permission for such a show to be made.

He is of course the natural and obvious choice to write the shows.

I assume without talking to him, such a project could not seriously even be considered.

Was he approached about this project?

And I think that therein lies the show's potential problem.

While I do love to see the bobbies doing there cute little schtick
in the middle of an entire show of other characters doing other
things, I have a difficult time visualizing what an entire show
of Cooper and Walsh might be.

If "A Short Introduction To Cooper's Rules" is any indication, it could do quite well (that is the one Summer Wine episode where Cooper and Walsh take somewhat of a lead role). Of course that is a very tall order, setting the standard quite high.

I believe the show might be in need of some eccentric villagers or townfolk.

It is sad that Cooper and Walsh did not go into production as their own spinoff show. I only just found out about it the other month. I really liked it when they made an appearance on LotSW - Cooper's Rules is a great episode.

I believe I read on here that Cooper and Walsh have done some stage shows / skits as their characters. How did those go? Just wondering if the new show would have been them mostly in their car out in the countryside. Or if it was more office oriented similar to The Thin Blue Line.

As great as Kickstarter can be I am not sure if it was the best way to poll interest for the show. A large part of potential viewers may not be internet savvy enough to have considered such a venue. Yet they would have eagerly watched and supported the show if it had gone into production.

Cheers,
Rick

It is sad that Cooper and Walsh did not go into production as their own spinoff show. I only just found out about it the other month. I really liked it when they made an appearance on LotSW - Cooper's Rules is a great episode.

I believe I read on here that Cooper and Walsh have done some stage shows / skits as their characters. How did those go? Just wondering if the new show would have been them mostly in their car out in the countryside. Or if it was more office oriented similar to The Thin Blue Line.

As great as Kickstarter can be I am not sure if it was the best way to poll interest for the show. A large part of potential viewers may not be internet savvy enough to have considered such a venue. Yet they would have eagerly watched and supported the show if it had gone into production.

Cheers,
Rick

Have a look at these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GplGqVSn4s&list=PLwDWdI_eIxWCaP2l-Qm15dlmVO4jgcTvr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA8TEs9ipHY&list=PLwDWdI_eIxWCaP2l-Qm15dlmVO4jgcTvr&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzJ9M-CXr9U&list=PLwDWdI_eIxWCaP2l-Qm15dlmVO4jgcTvr&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCAt44HN1LM

Thank you Pearl, you are great! The video links really helped in shaping up what I was imagining the new show could have been like. :smile:

Cheers,
Rick

Cheers,
Rick

Glad you enjoyed the video clips Rick, I spoke to Ken last week and he has not given up on the idea, the stage shows went extremely well and they want to take it across the UK but could not get sponsorship

Very old post I know, but I was watching the teasers on YouTube and I never knew you were a producer on this Terry!!!
Such a pity it never took off, I pledged money at the time, long before I even knew this website existed, I recall receiving a lovely message from Ken Kitson. I think it would have been a brilliant spin off, and contrary to some of the comments they can sometimes be better than the original, many people forget that Terry & June was a spin off !!

There are countless spin offs that should be littering the cutting room floor Going Straight(Porridge sequel) and Grace and Favour(Are you being Served) are a couple that come to mind.

There are countless spin offs that should be littering the cutting room floor Going Straight(Porridge sequel) and Grace and Favour(Are you being Served) are a couple that come to mind.
I completely agree with you about Going Straight, I'm amazed RB agreed to make that as he could choose his work as he was such a star. I've seen many worse spin offs than G&F, I found it better than the last few series of AYBS, but in fairness series 7 onwards were dire....

Very old post I know, but I was watching the teasers on YouTube and I never knew you were a producer on this Terry!!!
Such a pity it never took off, I pledged money at the time, long before I even knew this website existed, I recall receiving a lovely message from Ken Kitson. I think it would have been a brilliant spin off, and contrary to some of the comments they can sometimes be better than the original, many people forget that Terry & June was a spin off !!
I was surprised at the time seeing my name in the credits, I suppose it was down to me tracking down Louise and getting him to the location after he got lost near Marsden, and the location was near Jackson Bridge plus other little bits I got involved with during the day.
I had to kick start Alan Bell's sense of humour, they were taking the wheels of the police car, Alan was watching them, I walked over and said Alan if your having the wheels can I have the battery, the crew burst out laughing, Alan asked me seriously what I needed the battery for.

I was surprised at the time seeing my name in the credits, I suppose it was down to me tracking down Louise and getting him to the location after he got lost near Marsden, and the location was near Jackson Bridge plus other little bits I got involved with during the day.
I had to kick start Alan Bell's sense of humour, they were taking the wheels of the police car, Alan was watching them, I walked over and said Alan if your having the wheels can I have the battery, the crew burst out laughing, Alan asked me seriously what I needed the battery for.
Well it impressed me, you're always modest about your celebrity status, I knew you were an actor but clearly you're a TV executive too! If you need to employ someone to clear the leaves from the swimming pool in your garden just give me a shout :p :p :p

Well it impressed me, you're always modest about your celebrity status, I knew you were an actor but clearly you're a TV executive too! If you need to employ someone to clear the leaves from the swimming pool in your garden just give me a shout :p :p :p
Oh great now we'll never get his head back through the door and we'll be getting the memos again about calling him sir Terry.

Last edited:
Back