Dad's Army

I am in the Dads Army Appreciation Society Pearl and there is nothing on our site at the moment regarding a remake.

No!! I could name awful ones! I do like Bill Nigh but i'm not sure he's right for Dad's Army.

Hows the appreciation society taking the news?

No!! I could name awful ones! I do like Bill Nigh but i'm not sure he's right for Dad's Army.

Hows the appreciation society taking the news?

Hard to say Pearl the Society does not have a forum like ours so would have to wait for a notice on the main site.

Most remakes just do not seem to work; there was a perfectly good film made of Dad's Army about 1971 - what is wrong with that?

Some work done on old Hancock scripts comes to mind; the remakes were not the same and just did not capture the spirit of the original. That is not to say that they were bad but reprising something with a fresh troupe and nuances different can often be a mistake.

I watched an episode yesterday on YouTube. Mainwaring gets a new door for his office. Made of paper. Not a bad show.

dads army

I checked it out and it looks pretty good. Reminds me of our MASH, and Hogans Hero's a bit. I like those old army shows! Thanks for the info

Most of the location filming was done here in Norfolk and Thetford where all the cast stayed and and a lot of the filming was done seem to think it would be a good thing to have a new film made as it would increase tourism in the area. There is already a Dads Army Museum in the town which is proving very popular.

I'm very certain a year or two ago, they were talking about a new Dad's Army film, with the blessing of Jimmy Perry, only it was to be about an all-woman home guard.

No doubt someone will find the reports on the internet.

But back to the current idea; I've mixed views.

Obviously it's all been done before, it was perfection, and we will always remember the original with great fondness. Why mess about with such a masterpiece.

However, after over 35 years, it is quite exciting to see a new version, isn't it?

I hope it is done well, and I would like to see it filmed around Thetford as before - because maybe this may help to retain some of the original flavour of the TV series.

It's customary in these type of remakes for some of the original stars to make a brief appearance.

It would be nice to see Ian Lavender, Pamela Cundell and Frank Williams (only 82) in cameo roles.

Back