did anyone else think the Sid and Ivy rowing scenes were toned down aftera while

C W Northrop

Dedicated Member
In the first two series they were really at it,then after that,Ivy just used to insult Sid then he'd answer back only to get a bash on the head for his troubles :)

It seemed like over the years, Ivey wore him down! Like typical Summer Winethe men appear to be the weaker sex. Also, seen in the Bucket residence.

I think a number of things got toned down over time, language, amount of smoking and so on.

Clegg got more timid, which was always a shame as he had a mischevious streak at times

I think a number of things got toned down over time, language, amount of smoking and so on.

Clegg got more timid, which was always a shame as he had a mischevious streak at times

I totally agree with you. Having characters row can be very funny if not done to often. It was becoming a regular habit for them. Insults once in a while is funnier like Nora and Wally use to do. The show is a comedy and not drama so you can't have all that rowing can you? Sometimes I got annoyed at pearl as the way she downgraded Howard. Never gave him a chance.

I think they had to tone it down 4 1 simple reason, the show became more of a family show in the early 80's and they couldnt swear as much because they didnt want to influence the kids, might be one of the few times the show went along with the PC approach we see a lot nowadays

I have all the series of LOTSW and never heard any swearing words. Well not the bad ones. Even when they rowed they never swore. The only bad influence they gave the kids was to be lazy LOL, Like the three of them roaming the hills with nothing to do. The show was always a family show and not just starting in the early 80's.

I did notice Ivy screaming less and breaking less cups and saucers and relying more on sly, witty comments when she poked fun at Sid.

In "Cheering Up Gordon" Sid was rowing Ivy in a little boat when they were
at Scarborough...I think.

I think their fights got less overly violent. Used to be you heard (never saw only heard) terrible extended sounds of pots and pans and loud banging going on in the back of the kitchen. Later Sid would get bopped on the head with a pan, but it wasn't an extended beating the way it used to sound. I say, it was for the good that the physical abuse Sid suffered was toned down. I usually am purposley the opposite of PC (another tern for censorship) but having your favorite characters suffer long beatings isn't funny. :'(

I think their fights got less overly violent. Used to be you heard (never saw only heard) terrible extended sounds of pots and pans and loud banging going on in the back of the kitchen. Later Sid would get bopped on the head with a pan, but it wasn't an extended beating the way it used to sound. I say, it was for the good that the physical abuse Sid suffered was toned down. I usually am purposley the opposite of PC (another tern for censorship) but having your favorite characters suffer long beatings isn't funny. :'(
true I know what you mean,even if it isnt real :)

One thing I liked about Ivy was when anyone foolish ( especially a guest) comes into her cafe. I just know there are going to get whats coming to them. Our PBS station just started airing the Hobbo years, which of course is not that great. However, I am finding watching the Hobbo years the third time around isn't so bad. Anyway, not to get off track, my point is, even in her old age Ivy has a great way for dealing with Hobbo's foolishness.

The rowing between Sid and Ivy was a very funny part of the show ,listening to Gordons knee was a brilliant one and her views on men were priceless.Ivy was a uneque woman and the way she treated Sid fitted in with the steryotype wife of that part of the world.She might have shouted and yelled but she loved Sid.

You couldn't help but feel sorry for Sid, what with all the unwarranted beatings he got from Ivy in the early days. It's like he spent his whole adult life being hen-pecked or beat about the head with a chip pan! Poor fellow!

Back