Don't know if I posted in this thread before...

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
...but anyway here goes. I chose the screen name "manfromoswestry" because it's the title of the episode that introduced Foggy Dewhurst to the LOTSW cast. I'm from the USA -- the state of New Jersey in particular, but I won't get any more specific than that. I've been an LOTSW fan since a local TV station aired re-runs starting around 2007 or so. The first episode I ever saw was "Sinclair And The Wormley Witches". What really caught my attention was the character of Herbert Truelove, as played by Frank Thornton. I had been an Are You Being Served fan since the late 1980's, and I was always a fan of his acting and comedic timing. So it was Frank's connection to the series that drew me in, and I've been a fan ever since.

When I don't post here, I work in my family's restaurant / catering business and 18-hole golf course. All the more reason I relate to the dynamic between Sid and Ivy, although I myself am not married or involved with anyone. It's also why I find golf-related episodes of LOTSW particularly hilarious! In my spare time, which is rare lately, I like to practice my guitar, collect vintage Star Wars toys and old Lionel electric trains, watch documentaries on YouTube, babysit my nephews and nieces, and of course, watch old episodes of LOTSW on DVD and other assorted British comedies! I am eternally grateful fans of the series like myself have a place like summerwine.net to congregate and discuss all things LOTSW-related. All the Brits who post here would be pleasantly surprised at what a huge following this series and other British comedies have here in the USA. Thank you Britain and LOTSW for providing me countless hours of care-free laughter! Now if I could only find a bookstore here that sells a copy of Alan J. W. Bell's book, I would be ecstatic!

A great pleasure to welcome you to the forum formally and what a great pen picture . It's nice to get a perspective on British Humour from someone living in the US [we have quite a few members] because it does not always travel well . I find it quite astonishing that you got hooked on the show when you saw your first episode, because had I watched Sinclair and the Wormley Witches I do not believe it would have drawn me in and resulted in me watching more episodes because in that particular series it is ,in my opinion, one of the poorer episodes.

Back