Elegy for Fallen Wellies

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Truly: Do you think the dead ever see a sunrise?
Clegg: Yes, I do, actually.
Truly: Even those who don't get up very early?
Clegg: Even them. Maybe that's what Paradise is: a place where the sun doesn't come up until you're ready.
Truly: You think he was heavenly material, do you?
Clegg: Certainly. "To be as little children" – that was him.
bill_owens__compo_by_alene.jpg

This captures the impish cheeky side of Compo so perfectly .It is a shame the sculptor who produced that hideous piece of stonework that is supposed to be placed in Holmfirth as a tribute to Compo/Bill [ Does anyone know if the statue is in place yet or not ??] did not base his piece on this wonderful drawing .

Well, I'm sad & angry to have to report the the Bas*ards who are Kirklees council have removed Compo's statue & have stated that they want nothing to do with Summerwine in Holmfirth.!!

Attachments

• 20230831_101958.jpg
    20230831_101958.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230831_102051.jpg
    20230831_102051.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 13
It is heart breaking Graham......people have short memories...and selective memories.
My wife and I visited a very trendy ladies clothes shop on our last visit...we are both really into fashion and the lady who owned the shop made a lovely comment about my Moncler coat.
When I thanked her she said she loved the Scouse accent and has been to Liverpool loads of times for clothes and for it's amazing nightlife.....this is when things took a turn for the worst...she asked us both why we we there...only for me to say that a am a Summerwine addict and I absolutely love coming to see all the sights and to take the wonderful bus ride.........she looked at me like I had killed her dog !!!!.....told me EVERYONE in Holmfirth HATES all the daytrippers...and simply stopped talking to me !!!...suffice to say I will NEVER go to that shop again....they should be ashamed of themselves !!!...our show MADE Holmfirth.

Hear hear, Totally agree Moodyblue. We're visiting again at the mo simply because of Summerwine & spending our money in the area.

Astounding , the statue is just incredulous Bill Owen brought joy to millions and millions to the town in cash terms , the businesses should be applauding and welcoming anything to promote the area and boy the show certainly did that . I imagine the locals will say visitors disrupt their lifestyle and bring unwelcome congestion to the area but doesn't every seaside town harbour those thoughts but are perhaps more tolerant because of the impact on the local economy . I'd love to know why there appears, from what the woman in the clothes shop stated , a deep seated hatred for anything Summerwine related.

Most of the businesses & Banks that close down reopen as trendy wine bars/ tap rooms. Seems that's what makes the money nowadays. It's sad that the towns changing, but things inevitably do.

Wow, the statue was not there all that long. The shop keeper really knows how to drive away future potential business.

I don't know what is wrong with people, but it's the same here. Everybody is a victim and everybody wants everything changed and history erased. How soon we forget those who got us here. I hope they find Compo a spot where he's appreciated!.

Well, I'm sad & angry to have to report the the Bas*ards who are Kirklees council have removed Compo's statue & have stated that they want nothing to do with Summerwine in Holmfirth.!!
They must remember that before Summerwine and the tourist trade it still brings. Holmfirth was a run down mill town that was down on its luck. Summerwine saved it. They should be greatful

Peter and I did not come across the type of "hostility" mentioned here, but it is notable that a majority of the people I contacted for permission to film on their grounds, etc, did not reply to my correspondence. Despite this we did manage to film at most of the locations that we wanted. As I mention in the video "From Pilot to Pinnacle":
"Members of the Holmfirth Chamber of Trade were keen to capitalise on the potential income from encouraging tourism, but Kirklees Council prioritised other areas. There was resentment in the town by some businesses and residents, initially due to the disruption the filming could cause in the town, and due to the perception that the show’s influence changed the town for the worse."​
I thought feelings had improved...
Many people stopped and chatted, in Holmfirth and random places around the area. No one was negative and many shared recollections of seeing the filming or enjoying the show. On our last day of filming we were trying to keep of of the way of some people who appeared to be tourists, but they were happy to wait and watch and take photos of us filming near Nora's.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to acquire this statue and find a home for it? I'd be glad to kick in some quid, or buy it outright if the price is right. This whole thing has me bewildered..

Back