ere no missus

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
Firstly let me apologise for being a bit lackadaisical . Considering he is one of my favourite comedians, and it was only seeing the documentary earlier this morning that prompted this post. I have just realised Francis A Howerd would have been 100 years old in March this year and I cannot let that anniversary pass without a word, albeit a little late.

In my opinion , and I stress my opinion , he could have probably played a regular part in LOTSW, dare I say it he may have made a success as Seymour in that version of the trio . I think , having read that rather destructive article about Peter Sallis and some of the other actors posted the other day , it would have been fascinating to see the dust up between Bill Owen and him , if the article has a grain of truth , over who ensured they had the biggest laugh lines in the show .

Frankie had numerous peaks and troughs in his career but thankfully with his appearance at the Oxford Union it seemed to end on a high so thank you so much for all the laughter you brought Frankie , Salute!

Agree with most of your sentiments Captain , but I'm afraid I don't think he could have been a better Seymour than the one we got. But to each his own , he would have fitted in somewhere.:08:

Yes I think he'd have played a great part somewhere, I did like him, I grew up watching Up Pompeii, ( The later repeats obviously, being just a slip of thing in my lat... mid...5..thirties.... "Cough") I love a comedian that can keep a straight face and that was him. As for the newspaper article about Peter, I find it very distasteful to do that days after a persons death, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, although most of these allegations where common knowledge it still doesn't excuse the sheer vulturism of the gutter press. But I yes to Frankie Howerd.

I did not know the name, but have seen him in a few things. Francis is a funny guy and I do think he might have found a spot in Summer Wine country.

Dons Flak Jacket and starts digging underground bunker.... I DISAGREE:13:

To set the matter straight, I DO like Frankie! Up Pompeii was great when it came out and some of his other stuff was very funny
HOWEVER
I feel he wouldn't have fitted in with LOTSW. His style of humour would (in my opinion) have clashed. In addition, if you look at his work HE is the focus all the time. Even in more ensemble type shows, there is no
mistaking that FRANKIE is the star. (A bit like Norman Wisdom....scene stealer extraordinaire).

I just think there would be too much of a clash of styles.....can you imagine him doing a monologue on Howard and Marina?? It would be extremely funny, but NOT in the style of LOTSW.

Ok, the Bunker is finished...diving in before return fire strikes!:33::28:

Dons Flak Jacket and starts digging underground bunker.... I DISAGREE:13:

To set the matter straight, I DO like Frankie! Up Pompeii was great when it came out and some of his other stuff was very funny
HOWEVER
I feel he wouldn't have fitted in with LOTSW. His style of humour would (in my opinion) have clashed. In addition, if you look at his work HE is the focus all the time. Even in more ensemble type shows, there is no
mistaking that FRANKIE is the star. (A bit like Norman Wisdom....scene stealer extraordinaire).

I just think there would be too much of a clash of styles.....can you imagine him doing a monologue on Howard and Marina?? It would be extremely funny, but NOT in the style of LOTSW.

Ok, the Bunker is finished...diving in before return fire strikes!:33::28:

This is what I love about this forum people build great bunkers. No bunker needed. I was thinking more of a Norman Wisdom type roll too, he definitely was a scene stealer, in the best possible way, some people can pull that off and I think Frankie could do it much better than Norman and a scene with Howard and Marina would have been hilarious.

I'd like to have seen him in a scene with Nora and Ivy, he could really charm the ladies and Nora and Ivy would have been great "Wingmen" for him. He'd have been a great source of gossip for them. I can imagine him being a cousin of Edie and Seymours.

Can you imagine Nora, Ivy or Edie's face if he pulled them up to stop them doing something or exercising their iron will against him with the opening " 'Ere no Missus"

Back