First of the Summer Wine.

Greets and Weclome, @Terry L P :18:. Hopefully others on here that have not seen them yet can find the episodes on youtube. They are a good watch.

@Pearl , thanks on that. I had forgotten they could still be growing. Been some decades since I was near that age and overlooked it. :)

I’ve never seen Red Dwarf, so I watched some Youtubes just now. I might have to keep watching it... And yes, I can see why you’d say that, Rick about Lister and our young Compo.

Glad to hear that you watched and liked some Red Dwarf @Cleggy's Sis. I do hope you were able to at least watch the first episode titled The End as it explains what is going on with the characters. The show looks a little dated nowadays but still plenty of good laughs. The show is a bit like LotSW in that each episode does not need to be watched in strict order but it helps for first viewing. Things get referenced from previous episodes so there is some continuity as the show progresses.

In short it takes place in the future on a very large mining spaceship called Red Dwarf. The main character David Lister becomes stuck there by himself with only an AI ship computer Holly, an AI hologram of deceased crew member and bunkmate Arnold Rimmer. The two can't stand each other. As well as a creature (called Cat) that evolved from Lister's pet cat which he snuck onto the ship before being put into stasis and frozen in time for a bit. Sounds crazy but it works. They manage to stumble across some other very interesting people / creatures along the way of trying to return back to Earth.

I imagine Columbus has changed a bit since I was watching Red Dwarf up there back in the late 80's, mid 90's. High Street had a lively bar scene bar then (maybe still does) near the college. Loads of places to drink and venues for small bands. Saw Pink Floyd play in the Horseshoe stadium. I remember the great smell of driving by the Wonder-bread factory in the mornings. I had fun while I lived there as a twenty-something.

About FotSW it is worth grabbing on DVD when you find it. Sometimes you might need to search the UK side of Amazon or eBay since we are in the US. That is what i did. Then you also need to have a DVD player which can play region 2 dvds or a computer to work around that. As much UK / R2 shows as I watch it is worth having a dedicated player to watch them through. Finding a good DVD deal on a great UK show is always a treat.

Last edited:
Thanks for the memories, Rick. As Ivy says, “There’s worse places than this.” And still, I fantasize about Summer Wine country, and what it might have been like to live there during the time of FOTSW. Also I wonder how the kids’ lives would have been during the Great Depression. I’m reminded of Dilys asking Ivy in one episode, “Don’t you just wish you could wake up one morning and find you were someone else?”

Back