First of the Summer WIne

M

Mahoney

I watched this on GOLD the other month and noticed that there was a character called Sherbert there. Do you think he may have been Herbert Trulove? I know sherbert is the fizzy stuff, but it may as be a play on words for Herbert's name and his love of Sherbert?

Not sure - as Truly was not even thought of when First of was written. .

Wonder if he could have been intended to become Sid - who married Ivy who was a co-worker with Norah at the time. However he could be one of the young people of 1939 who sadly did not come back after the conflict. As there were onyl two series we shall probably never know as it took us up to September 1939 anyway.

There are a few discontinuities between First ... and Last....

In First they know Seymour who work in the Co-op whereas in Uncle of the Bride where he is introduced he was a completely unknown person.

I like to think that Sherbert didn't return from war but is remembered by the rest of the lads in "Last of".
I also like to think that he was a lorry driver in the army, he liked lorries (but hated working for his dad in the allotment).

I recorded all of the "First of" episodes on to VHS when they were first broadcast way back in the eighties.
Unfortunately, after being dragged all over the place when i moved to different houses (and countries), they aren't in the best of condition.
Ironically, i own an audio/visual production studio in Wales, yet i've never got around to transferring them to DVD, i need to get my finger out and get them transferred before they get any worse than they are already.
I'm sure a few of you on here would be interested in a copy?
I'll see what feedback i get and if enough of you are interested, i'll get them transferred over winter if i get time.

G ; )

I also would like to think that Sherbert was one who failed to return. There was a line in an early episode about a bird with blood on its beak and Cleggy reflecting on a colleague who died young in the war.....

so that would make Sid an "off-cum'd'un"....

I also would like to think that Sherbert was one who failed to return. There was a line in an early episode about a bird with blood on its beak and Cleggy reflecting on a colleague who died young in the war.....

so that would make Sid an "off-cum'd'un"....

"Little Jimmy Naylor, in France somewhere...with blood on his beak"

G ; )

I always like to think Sherbet was Sid but there are things from FOTSW that don't match up with things that Ivy has said. I certainly don't want to think that Sherbet didn't return because he was such a likeable young man.
I've never thought of him being Truly before but the nickname Sherbet would certainly make sense. The great thing is that when we watch it, Sherbet can be just who we want him to be.
Rob

Back