Goodbye Mrs Slocombe

This is very sad, she was a very funny lady. I just read that Mollie Sugden was born in Keighley. The railway at Keighley is where they did all of the filming for Full Steam Behind. Small world. Apart from Mrs Slocombe, Mollie played the mother of so many people, including Jimmy Clitheroe and Terry Scott.

Yes it does seem so sad that so many of the fine comedy actors and actresses that I recll are now passing away.

Interestingly the Golf Captain actor was, I believe, the young assistant in menswear with Mr Grainger in "Are you being served?" I just can noit recall his name at Grace Bros. Yes I can - Mr Lucas

Yes it does seem so sad that so many of the fine comedy actors and actresses that I recll are now passing away.

Interestingly the Golf Captain actor was, I believe, the young assistant in menswear with Mr Grainger in "Are you being served?" I just can noit recall his name at Grace Bros. Yes I can - Mr Lucas

Very ironic isn't it that Frank Thornton was called Captain Peacock on AYBS and then as Truly he gets to address the former Mr. Lucus as Captain.

That's very sad, lovely actress, saw he recently in Steptoe and Son.

I was surprised to hear this, as I was sure she had died some time ago, thought I was imagining things,

Thats what I thought at first I didn't think to look at the date. ! Someones had a good dig round to find that. :eek:

Talk about trying to confuse us old timers with out of date news. I thought I was going do lali. Glad to know I am not. Although some I know will dispute that.

DARN IT - I've just read, my old favourite, Arthur Askey has died !
I thought he'd been out of the limelight lately.
My God ! - He was a right ol' card, wasn't he ?

DARN IT - I've just read, my old favourite, Arthur Askey has died !
I thought he'd been out of the limelight lately.
My God ! - He was a right ol' card, wasn't he ?

Just having some fun ! ;-)

I already commented that I did not understand this and still do not really see the point but somehow (and this is the sort of oddball that makes me really appreciate the Internet) checking on Arthur Askey led me to the fact that Sabrina is still alive and living in Hollywood aged 76. Now there is a thought on which to ponder (or do I mean two thoughts?). See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrina_(actress)
I am particularly amused by:
"In 1974, US auto safety regulations mandated sturdier impact protection. British Leyland engineers added two large protruding rubber bumper blocks to the front and rear of the MGB, MG Midget and Triumph TR-6 sports cars. These appendages were quickly dubbed "Sabrinas" by the British motoring press, and the nickname stuck."

Guess here - the comment about Arthur Askey was because there was a new post on Molly Sugden on this thread three years after her death: posts in 2009, last by myself then one in 2012 which prompted somebody to through in an anachronistic comment!

Just a thought.

Back