Greatest ever Clegg line

Mine are a tie. The episode where the trio are hiding Howard from Marina, and she's asking them questions and they're giving wonky answers. Marina asks, "Why are you standing like that?"Compo says, "We're trying to attract pigeons!" which leads Marina to ask why and Cleggy says under his breath, "It's just one DAMN thing after another"

In "Pole Star" Compo is once again battered and bruised from one of Foggy's "ideas" and they are at the Cafe and Compo says about his bruises, "If I were naked, I'd look like a black pudding!" Cleggy covers his face and after a few seconds he says, "I was going to have a sausage roll but..." The audience laughs out loud and the last of the line is unheard.

I just posted this in another thread and I will do it one more time, in hopes that someone can correct me on the exact quote, word for word.

I believe it was in I didn't know Barry Could Play where in the beginning Howard is at Clegg's and they are having an interesting, in-depth discussion on marriage. Howard was asking about Cleggs marriage and his answers were quite comical.

OK, can someone tell me the exact phrasing of this?

Howard: "What about Passion".
Clegg: "That was for foreigners"

Also, I am technologically slow (or thick), so if someone could inform me how to use this line as my footnote, I would appreciate it.

Finally, I have said this a few times recently.... to me, it usually isn't what Clegg says, but how he says it.

Codfanglers, if you go to your profile, which is just at the top of your page "Home Help Search Profile"
Click on that then look down the side it says Modify Profile click on " Forum profile imformation" You can add a foot note in there at the bottom.

Codfanglers, if you go to your profile, which is just at the top of your page "Home Help Search Profile"
Click on that then look down the side it says Modify Profile click on " Forum profile imformation" You can add a foot note in there at the bottom.
Well done Sue for making your 1000th post ;D

OOOH WOW I didn't notice that ;D ;D Thank you Dick, do I get a cake or anything? :D

OOOH WOW I didn't notice that ;D ;D Thank you Dick, do I get a cake or anything? :D

Mmm........Cake!

Foggy"Wheres your video recorder Clegg"
Clegg"Video recorder your looking at someone who failed Mecccano"
I think this line is in Camera shy and it is also one of my fave Cleggy lines

That's my earliest Summer Wine memory, and probably my favourite Clegg line as a result. I was 7 years old at the time!

I think for me it's got to be when he was sitting in the wall and remembering when a yellowhammer flew into the window. He gets more and more lost in his sad memory, ending with the lad they knew who died in the war and was burried in Africa. If that was in a hollywood movie Mr Sallis would have walked off with the oscar.

I really enjoy this thread :D! All these lines, I love all of them.

The black pudding line, I think the bit that was inaudible was something like "I don´t think I´ll bother now".

Finally, I have said this a few times recently.... to me, it usually isn't what Clegg says, but how he says it.

Exactly! His delivery is spot on! From the very start of the series he had a way of saying the lines that would be beyond funny!

Exactly! His delivery is spot on! From the very start of the series he had a way of saying the lines that would be beyond funny!

Recent forum discussions include Clegg's excellent delivery of punchlines and how well Sallis performed in Compo's passing trilogy. With these in mind, I wonder if Peter Sallis is naturally very similar to his character.

Recent forum discussions include Clegg's excellent delivery of punchlines and how well Sallis performed in Compo's passing trilogy. With these in mind, I wonder if Peter Sallis is naturally very similar to his character.

Short answer: Yes! :D
At least in some respects, not everything of course, some are very different, but generally, yes, he is.

Another funny line from the pilot: "My bowel´s playing up a bit. God moves in mysterious ways!"

In the spirit of "not what he said but how he said it", I recently saw an episode where the guys are looking for Howard and they go to the grocery store where Marina works. Through the shelves both Foggy and Compo say something to Marina in which she has the typical "excited to get all of men's attention" reaction. Then it is Cleggs turn to look through the shelf. In his nervous tone in which he spoke to some females, he said, "I see your sugar puffs are reduced". Marina replied,"Always such a wicked tongue that Clegg."

I love him and Compo in The Frozen Turkey Man.

'Gobble, Gobble!'

I also remember him saying something like "everything is basically OK with the world as long as there`s racing at Chepstow" from the first or second series I think.

I love his bus stop joke, and after Compo hits him with his beanie looking all furious.

Foggy - 'That's where we've been going wrong. We've been coming round this bend as pedestrians. No wonder we missed the bush. Why did we miss the bush?'
Clegg - 'Maybe it isn't a bush stop.'

Love bad jokes, especially that one!! ;D

Back