Has LOSW helped during bad times

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I ask this question with a purpose, you can give as much or as little detail as you feel happy divulging.
Over the years has the show given you some comfort during bad times in your life, I know it has helped me during times of illness or recovery from surgery, just putting the show on felt like having an extended family in the room, often helping me to doze off and they are still there when I wake up, it should be free on prescription.

I think in the wicked world we live in,where greed and power are king more and more people may seek the comfort blanket parallel universe of Summer Wine.
I have described it previously as "visual prozac"...but that does not go far enough to be honest.
In the words of the famous song..."IT MAKES US HAPPY WHEN SKIES ARE GREY".
It is a unique "feeling" we all have when we view "our show".......non believers will never understand the depth of affection and love it brings us....we know each character so well they become real....we are viewing a world we would all love to live in.....a world of warmth,laughter,daftness,belonging and true friendship.
I know from a personal point of view that without it I would be a rudderless ship.
It is a gift from above for us all.
X!

Absolutely. I have my phone beside my bed. I sometimes have very fitful sleep and when this happens I very often play one of the audio episodes which I find have a calming effect. I usually drop off before the programme ends. I think only we fans of the show can fully understand the positive effect we get from it.

A few years ago I was going through a particularly dark period. Spent a bit of time in hospital and dwelling on things the consultant had explained to me.
All I needed for a little relief and uplift was to see an episode of our favourite LOTSW. Even the introductory music was enough to calm and comfort me.

Doctors have been saying for years looking at trees is good for your mental health and there's loads in each episode to see. Foggy must have seen the benefits too as he bought hundreds of them off Big Eric
I often enjoy looking at the trees on the show. Some look very old as they have incredible trunks. And the ones that they climb, so interesting. Once upon a time, I used to climb trees.

Absolutely. I have my phone beside my bed. I sometimes have very fitful sleep and when this happens I very often play one of the audio episodes which I find have a calming effect. I usually drop off before the programme ends. I think only we fans of the show can fully understand the positive effect we get from it.
I tried to follow your lead and listen to the audio episodes to fall asleep last night, but I was honestly woken up by Foggy blowing his whistle loudly in Full Steam Behind :confused:

Well I am not going to say that LOTSW has saved my life or anything like that
It’s not as though I was about to jump off a very high aqueduct when I saw an episode of the show and decided to keep my feet on firm ground
I do suffer from steady chronic depression and the show has provided a great deal of comfort and reassurance at times
Perhaps more so than any other show i often watch
I have come to understand that the music of this show has a lot to do with the warm and cozy atmosphere we get to share when watching the show
In particular the sound of the harmonica seems to soothe me when depressed
And only very recently I have discovered why this is
It’s the show called “sesame street “
You probably won’t have heard of that show as it’s an American kid’s show
That show began when I was but a wee lad, and I spent many a happy hour learning my alphabet from that show
The closing theme song of Sesame Street featured the brilliant harmonica of toots Thielemans
The association of the sound of a jazz harmonica and the warmth and comfort I used to have as a young child has made me love that sound, and has resulted in a clear and reliable trigger for momentary happiness
I might even go out someday and actually purchase a forty dollar harmonica and try to learn how to play it
It’s amazing what they can do with a cheap musical instrument which can only hit nineteen notes

In the early 90s, when I moved to a new city and started an extremely stressful job, watching LOTSW helped me cope. I felt transported to a beautiful place the instant the show started, especially the episodes that started by showing the river outside Nora’s and Compo’s.

Back