Hello from the Midwest US

daveb

Dedicated Member
Thanks for allowing me to join the forum. My introduction to Last of the Summer Wine was a bit unusual. I was in hospital briefly in January 2011. Aside from the evening news, nothing on commercial TV held my interest. However, on the local public TV station I came across LOTSW. I had never seen or heard of the program before and I might to this day have not heard of it had I not been in a hospital room, bored, surfing TV channels in hope of finding an enjoyable program to watch.

At that time (and to this day) a local public TV channel broadcasts two regular episodes of LOTSW in mid-afternoon, then broadcasts the same episodes in the early evening – Monday through Friday. I qualify using the term “regular” episode as the TV station has not broadcast any of the Christmas Specials. The current round of programming will finish this coming June when “How Not to Cry at Weddings” will be shown.

The first episode I saw was “How Errol Flynn Discovered the Secret Scar of Nora Batty” and I was hooked. When I got home I made sure record the episodes and try to watch them after I came home from work. Within two weeks I was shocked and saddened to see “Elegy for Fallen Wellies.” I then started searching the Internet to learn about the show. I had no idea how popular it was nor how long it had been around.

I have since purchased all of the available series on DVD from Amazon UK and hope that someday the remaining series will be released on DVD. To me, watching an episode is like relaxing with old friends.

Dave

Welcome Dave!
You will enjoy the forum. Everyone here is like family.
I am your neighbor from Texas.
Glad to meet you - :37:
Linda

Welcome Dave, its always good to have fresh blood........... I mean new members :D

Welcome to forum Dave, glad to see another US fan. Me from Tennessee!! Good folks here, Pearl doesn't bite at first :46:( unlike her icon), if she does that means she likes you!!! Again enjoy the conversations, weather about the show, or other issues. :17:

Welcome to forum Dave, glad to see another US fan. Me from Tennessee!! Good folks here, Pearl doesn't bite at first :46:( unlike her icon), if she does that means she likes you!!! Again enjoy the conversations, weather about the show, or other issues. :17:

Aww thanks Brenda ;D

I think that's nicest thing anyone has ever said to me :35::biggrin:

Welcome Dave

Welcome Dave. I am also a LOTSW fan from the US in Pennsylvania. My introduction to the series was similar to yours, however I was surfing TV stations on a treadmill at my local fitness center when I stumbled onto the program. I have managed to record all 31 series on dvd and have been through them one time. This is a great place to exchange ideas and learn some trivia from the knowledgeable members.

Dennis

Welcome Dave! Sounds like you might also be in Minnesota like I am. (Your comment about the local PBS station broadcasting LOTSW in the afternoon and evening!) I always catch the two evening episodes.

Hello Dave. I am from Indiana and have been watching LOTSW for about 5 years. You will enjoy it here. Nice folks here. :)

Welcome Dave! Sounds like you might also be in Minnesota like I am. (Your comment about the local PBS station broadcasting LOTSW in the afternoon and evening!) I always catch the two evening episodes.

Hello Babs. I do live in Minnesota, southeast of St. Paul just a bit north of Hastings.I have PCs set to record the episodes shown in mid-afternoon but I am watching Sadly, Madly, Bradley as I type this.

Welcome Dave,glad you discovered the show,the hospital must of realized it was the best cure for any illness

Terry

Back