Hold the remote

Onslow

Dedicated Member
From the Has LOSW helped during bad times thread,
Well I am not going to say that LOTSW has saved my life or anything like that
It’s not as though I was about to jump off a very high aqueduct when I saw an episode of the show and decided to keep my feet on firm ground
I think about the mindset I have to be in before starting a show. Usually the end of the day after supper. No one running up and down the hall screaming. Nothing pressing to make me worry about something I might be neglecting. Calm.

Why is that? Do others feel this way as well?

I think much has to do with that we watch wishing we could be directly in on the fun in such an idyllic setting. Yes, we know in reality it's a carefully manicured depiction of life (as I've read on several accounts visiting Holmfirth might be a jolt for someone expecting a near absence of traffic noise or other hustle and bustle). But still.

Then I think about how much of this type of appeal plays into the premise of a movie you may or may not have seen. Pleasantville.

In Pleasantville, David (a young Toby McQuire) is bequest a mysterious television remote. The device literally zaps David and his sister (Reese Witherspoon) into the black and white-era show Pleasantville, of which he is an obsessive fan. The show has been over for decades, sort of a cross between Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver, but lives on in reruns. Bud likes the show because he believes it represents a better time than the one he lives in. I'll stop there.

With that I wonder what you do with such a remote, which transports you in as a character in a Summer Wine episode with Cleggy and.....? Where and what episode and where would you want to "land"? Who would you want to locate first? What would you ask them? What would you take part in?

I would want to be in The Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg. It's a "gathering" episode of the characters so I could just blend in, sit down and people watch. From there I'd decide who to talk to.

Awesome topic. Thinking of the later "Summer Wine Land" era in the later years, I would love to be along the hillsides with Truly, Clegg, Barry, Billy, and Wesley. We would perhaps be partaking in Billy's archery misadventures.

With the Blamire years, it might be in the car with the trio and Walter! Or hanging out in one of the old barns.

Although, I don't know if anything would beat hanging out at the beach house with the Foggy trio in the Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper!

Tricky one, but I find the pace of life much more agreeable to me with the latter episodes. I'd probably like to be a guest at the wedding in How Not To Cry at weddings as it seems a happy occasion and it'd be good way to say goodbye to the characters. I'd also loved to have found out where that coach went to at the end....

Tricky one, but I find the pace of life much more agreeable to me with the latter episodes. I'd probably like to be a guest at the wedding in How Not To Cry at weddings as it seems a happy occasion and it'd be good way to say goodbye to the characters. I'd also loved to have found out where that coach went to at the end....
Hello Barrychuckle! The older episodes were the gritty ones dealing with redundancy. The newer ones gave more of a feel of happy retirement unless you were Howard or Smiler!

Maybe the coach was the Phantom Number 14 Bus?.

Back