How do lads, from California

Bone idle

How did I end up here? I was born and raised in the state of Oklahoma. I remember back around 1974 I saw a few episodes of Monty Python. I have no recollection if I liked it or not, but it was my first memory of a British Comedy here in the states. About 8 years later I moved to Dallas Texas and one of my bosses introduced me to Fawlty Towers and I thought it was brilliant.

The Dallas PBS station must have had a British Comedy night and I soon became addicted to watching British Comedies every Sunday night, and I enjoyed almost every British Comedy that the offered. That was at least 30 years and I still have some of them on Beta video.

Among my favorites back in those days were The Good Life, To the Manor Born, and of course Are You Being served. For some odd reason I think could watch an episode of AYBS every night without tiring of it. My list of British shows that I enjoy now is way to long to bore every one with, so I wont list them here.

On a trip to Las Vegas several years ago I was looking through the channels to see if they had any British Shows on their PBS station and I found my self watching Last of the Summer Wine for the first time. My memory is poor, but I believe it was during the Seymour era. After that weekend, I returned back to California where I now live and forgot about the show, or at least I thought so. Las Vegas is about a 4 hour drive from where I live and I continued to find a reason to visit a few times a year. Each time I was there I would search for that show that I only saw once. I couldn't remember what it was called or what exactly it was about but, obviously it had made some impact on me.

A few years went by and by that time I was a subscriber of satellite television and went for the package that included BBC America. Eventually I was reacquainted with what is now my favorite television show. I don’t recall which era it was when I was reunited, but I believe it may have been while Billy Hardcastle was a character on the show.

It was quite a while before I ever realized the importance of Compo. In fact, I didn’t view him as the main character; he was just one of the gang. It was only after I acquired DVDs of the early series that I began to grasp an understanding of the man. Now I get it!

I've been watching at least one episode almost every night now for years, and that’s even when I travel for business or holidays. I’m currently on my third time of viewing the complete show and I will soon come to the end of Compo’s tenure. I get sad just thinking of it. I will be watching How to Create a Monster tonight, so it will around a month for me and Compo will again be gone. :(

I really look forward to visiting Holmfirth some day soon. I had intended to last year, but I spent my savings on a car for my niece who was about to becoming driving age. She is an excellent student and it was the right thing to do at the time. Fortunately I’m well on my way to building my savings up again.

Please forgive me for my poor grammar and the length of my post.

Bone Idle (Matt)

Nothing to forgive Matt, its nice to get to know you. I have seen your name on here but knew nothing about you. Thank you for introducing yourself. :)

Welcome aboard

Welcome Matt. It is nice to hear your story. I am also located in the US, but on the opposite side......in central Pennsylvania. This forum has some very interesting and knowledgeable members that share our enjoyment of LOTSW. Hope to hear your thoughts on the various topics.

Dennis

Hi Matt
Glad you rediscovered the show and like us are hooked,welcome aboard and lets hope you make it over soon,Terry

Welcome Matt, I'm in TN, and my experience in tripping over the show was similar to yours, and I am glad we both found that this show is a part of our lives. We love it dearly, and enjoying talking about specifics about the show among other things on this forum.

Welcome along Matt - I am beginning to think we have almost as many USA based individuals here as UK!

Just forgive us when we use phrases or words that are unintelligible to USA!

Thanks for that barmpot. Sometimes I have to do a google on my brits words not used in USA to clear something up. Instead of looking like a big gob asking ya'll, huh? But, to let you know Matt, if you don't know and ask anyone on this forum, they are gracious enough to answer and not make fun of you!! I know I've asked.

Brenda, I hope we never make fun for of anyone here. Beth and I were talking the other day about the differences in our language.
If you ever need to know what we mean please just ask, I know there are times I've had to ask what something American means in English. I know we both speak English but it doesn't seem like it sometimes. :D

No problem sis, I know you guys will always help out, just like we will do for you. Its all good on this site. Some forums are brutal, I don't belong to any other, but sometimes read some and they are rough!! scary rough. This is more of a distant family, in touch by blogging only. That's how I see it.!

Thanks all, I feel welcome here.

There have been many words and phrases in the past that I didn't understand, but I have found answers to most of them. One phrase that I don't completely understand is when Foggy refers to Compo as" That Man". I'm not sure if that was common to say in that area or if it is just a Foggyism?

Its just way of pointing out a certain person. A bit like saying, you or him. Hope that helps :)

Its a throwback to his army days, when an officer wanted you for something he yelled "That man" , or " those men". It was mostly the sergeant majors or as Foggy was , the corporals. Hope that helps some. :) :)

I just noticed when he is referring to more than one man, he says "Come along those men where we in the north would say. "Come on you guys"

Thanks everyone. I will not hesitate asking if I get confused again. I will also check if there is a more appropriate page to ask these questions. This site has so many areas to explore.

Hi Beth in Indiana. Isn't' the internet Brilliant when it allows us to communicate with our friends abroad. I do wish our clocks were set the same, but I guess since the world is round, we have no choice.

Back