Howards cat.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amos hames, Sep 21, 2017.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. captain clutterbuck

captain clutterbuck Well-Known Member

Being from the North a Floor pronounced Flue- er is one of those green and petally things ya buy in a Florist and which Howard gave a bunch of to Pearl unfortunately with the wrong greeting card in .

2. Andrew D

Andrew D Well-Known Member

Ground vs Floor? Ask Howard; he spend enough time in both! :)

3. Emma

Emma Member

On this side of the Big Pond, a floor is inside a building. A floor is covered with flooring, e.g. carpet, rugs, hardwood, tile, vinyl, etc. When we say ground, it is actual soil, dirt, outside where grass, trees, and plants grow.

4. Adanor

Adanor Well-Known Member

People who spend most of their time inside rather than outside, will automatically reference a floor rather than the ground. And I think that this is true for both sides of the Pond.

5. Dennisbn514

Dennisbn514 Well-Known Member

me2..... I am in the United States also. I have been following English Football (soccer) for the past 4 or 5 years and the announcers often say that a player has been knocked to the "floor". In the US, we would say a player has been knocked to the "ground". It is obviously just a difference in the usage of a word in the UK versus the US.

6. me2

me2 Well-Known Member

It's interesting that Pearl says "Get up off that damn floor" and they are actually outside by the trash bins. So I suppose she could be referring to their cat or the neighbor's cat.

7. dick

dick Well-Known Member

Howard falls foul of Truly's sense of humour when Howard is on the roof trying to attract their attention . Truly and Billy steal his ladder and promise that they'll keep him safe from the neighbours cat ! :(:08:

8. Emma

Emma Member

Second Update:
    In "An Introduction to Cooper's Rules," Howard is outside doing push-ups. Pearl says "Get up off that damn floor before the cat gets you."
    In the episode "Ancient Eastern Wisdom: An Introduction," the opening scene shows a cat walking by their house.

I m pretty sure there is at least one more episode where Howard's cat was mentioned. I believe it takes place in the cafe when Pearl is talking with the ladies. I will continue to search.

Dennisbn514 likes this.
  9. Marianna

Marianna Well-Known Member

Smiler had a dog, and after it died he and his wife realized they had nothing left in common, so she left.

10. dick

dick Well-Known Member

DOOOOOOHHHHHH :eek::rolleyes::39:

11. captain clutterbuck

Apologies in advance for this, I fully expect disdain to be piled on by the bucket load:- :eek:

Auntie Wainwright had a pet section but was threatened for keeping them without a licence and took drastic action to rid herself of any evidence before the authorities turned up :-

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
    I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!
    There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
    That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her;
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
    I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!
    There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
    How absurd to swallow a bird.
    She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
    I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!...................................................................

12. Sarkus

Sarkus Well-Known Member

Good point. I'd forgotten about Pablo. And now that you mention it, I think Smiler having a cat and a goldfish are both mentioned once.

13. Brian Johns

Brian Johns Well-Known Member

What about Tom and "PABLO"?

I too can only remember the Mitzi episode as one where Pearl or Howard refer to having a cat.

Sarkus likes this.
  14. Sarkus

Sarkus Well-Known Member

There is an episode that opens with Howard petting a black cat and asking Pearl if she's ever thought about getting a pet. Her response is that she already has Howard.

The "Mitzi" episode is the only time we are told they have a cat as far as I know. In fact, I've always thought it a bit odd that only a few characters on the show have or had pets. Obviously Compo with his ferrets and Wally with his pigeons and later the whippet, but that's it. The only other mentions I can think of is Howard and Pearl having a cat in "Mitzi" and another episode where Ivy talks about having a budgie at one point.

15. Emma

Emma Member

UPDATE: In the episode "Oh, Look, Mitzi's Found Her Mummy" Howard is watching Vernon Hislop's dog, and walking toward his house.
    Pearl: "What about the cat?"
    Howard: "I don't think he's (Vernon) got a cat."
    Pearl: "Our cat, you muffin. You can't bring a strange dog in. She won't allow it."

In the episode "Hair of the Blonde That Bit You," Howard mentions the cat next door when trying to find an excuse for the blonde hair Pearl found on his clothing.

I haven't gone through both of these to the end, to see a cat stroll past their house, but I think there may be one more episode where Pearl mentions their cat. I think she is speaking to Nelly. I'll keep looking.

Sarkus and dick like this.
  16. Emma

Emma Member

It may take a while, since I watch a couple of episodes each night, but I'll go back over some I recently watched to see if I can find the titles.

17. amos hames

amos hames Well-Known Member

what was the other episode

18. Emma

Emma Member

I can remember two episodes when the Sibshaw's cat was mentioned, but never saw one inside their house. In one episode, there was a cat walking past their next door neighbor's house.

19. barmpot

barmpot Well-Known Member

You might well whistle nonchantly with comments like that!

20. captain clutterbuck

...........and just as Howard and the Cat were escaping you can guarantee they'd get caught by Pearl when Howard jammed the cats tail in the door . Although whilst spying for Hobbo he managed to get away by pretending his stomach was rumbling when the microphone was suffering feedback, even Pearl would know Howard pretending he was singing as the Cat was screeching with the pain was a poor subterfuge . In Howard's words " You knew it wasn't ME HOW! :08:"