Jeremy Clarkson

wstol

Dedicated Member
I realise the man isn't everyone's cup of tea.

But what do you all think about this use of the so-called N word?

From what I've heard, he was reciting the nursery rhyme that goes Slowly, Slowly, Catchee Monkey...

It seems he tried to mumble the offending word in order to continue the rhyme.

I gather this wasn't televised.

I don't know if there is now an ammended version of this well known rhyme.

I understand the offending word was once a fairly common word. It was even used to describe a paint colour once. It has turned into a derogatory word now. Like a few other words also have.

I don't want to go into a discussion about the word itself, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts on Clarkson's use of it.

I would give him a pass this time. There were a few takes and he goofed up on one big time. Believe it wasn't broadcast also. Gave a nice apology.

Some of the old " traditional " words people of my age grew up with are now not allowed .Guy Gibson ( leader of The Dambusters) called his black Labrador dog the "N" word for a name. There once was a move afoot to have that name removed from the dog's gravestone. I'm not aware that it came to anything (can you put me right please Terry??) It transpired this week that a group of Morris dancers who blacked their faces a large number of years ago to show their coal mining heritage, have been told they cannot black up any more. My point is , are we too sensitive or are people deliberately looking for things to complain about??:confused::confused:

I think a bit touchy my self. That big deal here in the states, where the basketball owner was talking in his own house and his girlfriend taped him, it is all over the news. Those were not for our ears to hear.

Also, some say if you disagree with the prez (obama) you are a racist. So if you disagree with a white president what does that make you?

Some want to gripe just to hear themselves talk.:(

What happened was that he was on the phone with his girlfriend and DID NOT KNOW that he was being taped.

I didn't know that it was on the phone. The man is 80 years old. She is what 30 maybe? It was not right what he was saying, but it is his thoughts.:30: He grew up in different times. You cannot change how the man thinks. I guess it appauls me that, this is at the top of the news stations, in the state that we are in , and the rest of the world.:unhappy: The whole situation is so far from me in so many ways. I just trying to figure out , should I put one more load of laundry in before bed time!:35:

I thought the conversation was offensive but your right, it was suppose to be private. I wonder why it was taped in the first place. Someone must have wanted him out?

What happened was that he was on the phone with his girlfriend and DID NOT KNOW that he was being taped.

They were in the same room together. At one point she hands him some juice and says, "Here, honey some juice for you." I believe he knew they were being taped at least at some point in their relationship. It is said that he would forget things and hence the machine or whatever was used.

I didn't know that it was on the phone. The man is 80 years old. She is what 30 maybe? It was not right what he was saying, but it is his thoughts.:30: He grew up in different times. You cannot change how the man thinks. I guess it appauls me that, this is at the top of the news stations, in the state that we are in , and the rest of the world.:unhappy: The whole situation is so far from me in so many ways. I just trying to figure out , should I put one more load of laundry in before bed time!:35:
Agreed. And I was just trying to figure out, should I have another glass of wine before bedtime?

I was at the Scampton the other week Dick and the dogs grave is still there with the same name,and it was pointed out to me with Pride for the man

Words do change their meaning and status over time, English is a language where that happens unlike some others, possibly because of the vast number of other languages we have borrowed words from.

Yes the N word used to be used on its own to describe a colour; and what was once acceptable is no longer so. As to altering the past - can we really do that and not have a slight feeling that we are getting closer to manipulating truth and history, almost rewriting it as was the job of the hero of the George Orwell book 1984; and George Orwell was seeking to show up the Soviet Union for altering the past to make the present rule seem correct and valid. The removal of a word is not in that league but it is a step towards re-presenting the past to fit better with what we now agree on.

There were a lot of songs from the 1020s onwards that referred to 'gay' as meaning blithe or carefree - not its present usage at all but we do not alter those. Probably do not sing them now so not really a problem.

Back