Jonathan Linsley

wstol

Dedicated Member
Jonathan Linsley only appeared in two series (I think), but made a decent enough impact on the show.

It is reported he left due to a crash diet.

I've only discovered today what he's been in since, and have seen for the first time what he looks like today, 25 years after he left the programme.

My question to you all is was he right to leave the show, and could he have been brought back at some point?

I'd say yes and yes to those two questions. The first is a matter of conjecture, the second was certainly a viable possibility.

It was said that they didn't like it that he lost all the weight because the script often made fun of his size. But yes they should have left him in.

I liked Crusher he was a good foil for the the other cast members who inhabitated the cafe,the canoe episode being one of the best.

I felt Milburn was a great character, and really enjoyed watching his involvement with the trio. I feel he should have been brought back, as the series would have got more audience if Crusher was brought back.

I think he could have been brought back as a slightly wiser, older Milburn, particularly when Ivy's cafe scenes were cut down.

I would say all of the new characters introduced around 1984 and 1986 were successful, but Milburn was the first to go.

Jonathan Lindsey was in the second series of First of the Summer Wine. I am not too sure how a thin Crusher would have worked though. I met him face to face in my home town, he was working in a play in our theatre (since closed down). I did not realise until we had passed by who he actually was. I just knew I knew him from somewhere!

I still thnk Crusher's best scene was when he lifted up the donkey in Big Day At Dream Acre,either that or when Foggy tried removing his splinter.Did he lift up Howard's van in Big Day... too?,forgotten.Also I recall he owned a 2CV,seen in The Heavily Reinforced Bottom

I remember seeing that! He had a surf board or something with him, and it was orange.

It was a canoe that he had in the car, for his passion of "White water".
I'm pretty sure he was the second incarnation of "Chunky Livesey", when he questions Nora in the cinema (first of the summer wine), can't remember the episode, but he had certainly lost a lot of weight in it.

I found this showreel of some of his work, check out the last one for John Smiths beer and see if you recognise the lady.

G ; )

Back