Just noticed

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
It is amazing what you can spot when you are not looking for it. I just spotted another "mistook" I hadn't seen before.

We all know about the microphones AND shadows appearing in shots (especially in the early series), also the obvious use of doubles, reflections of the crew etc etc, but I just spotted something I hadn't seen before in at least 2 episodes of the last Compo Series. "Under the rug" and the Morris Minor Magic episode.

At the beginning of both episodes we see Compo's signs attracting Nora to her window, followed by Compo himself arriving at the top of a ladder.
Nora the opens the window to shout at him. As she opens the window, at the bottom right of the window frame a phantom hand appears and "assists" with the window being opened!

I thought it was an optical illusion or reflection at first, but by playing it back, someone is clearly aiding with the raising of the window!

I have seen these episodes heaps of times and have never noticed it before!

So in addition to the Phantom SeeSaw manipulator at the start of a later episode, we now have phantom window openers! to go with the Phantom No.14 bus!:p

Well spotted that man,as you say you can watch these episodes many many times then all of a sudden see something, I will have to post a video clip on FB to see who else spots it

I checked those two episodes out........ I hadn't spotted that phantom hand before....... The viewer's attention is distracted to the centre of action.
I spotted an anomaly some time ago in a scene where Compo is apparently sitting on the roof of a tractor that approaches the camera. He has his back to the camera (The person is obviously a stuntman). The tractor parks up and he leaps from the height of the roof out of sight. You can see by a shadow that the stunt man scuttles away out of sight, and Bill Owen's shadow comes into view, followed by Compo.
I don't recall the episode title.......

Last edited:
I checked those two episodes out........ I hadn't spotted that phantom hand before....... The viewer's attention is distracted to the centre of action.
I spotted an anomaly some time ago in a scene where Compo is apparently sitting on the roof of a tractor that approaches the camera. He has his back to the camera (The person is obviously a stuntman). The tractor parks up and he leaps from the height of the roof out of sight. You can see by a shadow that the stunt man scuttles away out of sight, and Bill Owen's shadow comes into view, and Compo comes into view.
I don't recall the episode title.......
I spotted a similar act in SADLY MADLY BRADLEY .The trio have climbed a tree and one by one swing down to the floor. As "Clegg" swings down his double? scuttles off behind the tree and then Cleggy turns up little the worse for his exertions.:eyesroll:

This comes under the heading of mistake on the part of management -- It could have been horrible, but as luck had it, wasn't.

It was the one where Foggy and company are walking along this river or lake and they FIND A PILE OF CLOTHES. So Foggy demands that they go into the water to look for the victim. So they go into the water and they are standing about waist-deep or so and then they come out. No problems occur. LATER ON, the actors happen to speak to a local and the local says something like, "Boy it's a good thing that you didn't go out any further than you did. THERE'S A BIG DROP OFF."

I just watched "The Miraculous Curing of Old Goff Helliwell". Marina climbed a ladder into Goff's bedroom window, showing lots of leg. That HAD to be a stunt man ! - What a let-down.

Back