Milburn, etc

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
Watched the Loxley Lozenge t'other night and Crusher
was there in the Cafe not allowing more than 6 people
inside. (Yes this was not the oaf-ficial BBC DVD release.)

Then last night watched The Mysterious Feet (the next
episode) and there was no Crusher.

Wonder why??

not sure about that cciaffone, but I do know he was written out of the series because he lost a massive amount of weight through dieting... :)

Yeah, that's when he then went on to FOTSW. Was
far slimmer.

I just do not have a record of when he became a regular on
LOTSW, but I believe his last LOTSW episode was Treasure
of the Deep.

Watched the Loxley Lozenge t'other night and Crusher
was there in the Cafe not allowing more than 6 people
inside. (Yes this was not the oaf-ficial BBC DVD release.)

Then last night watched The Mysterious Feet (the next
episode) and there was no Crusher.

Wonder why??

the answer to that is very simple, "The Loxely Lozenge" wasn't initially due to be the christmas special for that year it was meant to be somewhere between "Keeping Britain Tidy" and "Catching Digby's Donkey" but was moved to christmas for some reason, if any episode was suppose to be the christmas special it should have been "The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty", this has happened later on in the series as well, in 2002 the christmas special should have been "The Lair of the Cat Creature" but "A Musical Passing for a Miserable Muscroft" was chosen as it even though Entwistle hadn't been introduced yet and Nora was due to return later in the series (24 in 2003 which was filmed at the same time as that special) around the halfway mark, so it's really a production team or BBC executive error by someone

Yes, its weird because its very clear that Keeping Britain Tidy is where he is actually introduced to the other characters.

The other weird thing about Crusher is that even though he left the series in 1987 (his last appearance was in Big Day at Dream Acres), and isn't mentioned at all in the next series, they do mention him as if he's still around in Crums a year later, where his girlfriend is hanging out in the cafe.

Yup, we watched Keeping Britain Tidy last night after having watched
the Loxley Lozenge WITH crusher the night before (as is the episode
order in my list). Makes no sense in that order, which is probably why
the beeb removed crusher from the Loxley Lozenge that they released.

Now, just how in the heck did I get a copy of Loxley with Milburn??

When the BBC released "The Finest Vintage" video in the 90's, the unedited version with Crusher in "The Loxely Lozenge" was on that video, hence why there might be the two versions of the episode (one with Crusher, one without) online

the finest vintage, a video not a book?

somehow I missed that one. US or UK??

What series/episodes included?

it was a VHS released in the UK. It had the episodes "The Kink in Foggy's Niblick", "Mending Stuart's Leg", "A Bicycle Made for Three", "From Wellies to Wet Suit" and "The Loxley Lozenge".

51KZRFW8JHL.jpg

I have two recordings of 'The Loxley Lozenge' - the original BBC broadcast with Crusher and the DVD with the edit version. I recorded the Crusher version off UKTV Gold or Drama (old days before UKTV revamped their channels) well before the DVD came out. Someone swiftly noted the editing on the DVD so it tipped me off not to wipe my original recording (I record on reusable DVD RAM disks). I think that was on the other forum which was suddenly wound up. I recall 'The Loxley Lozenge' had a unique aspect back then. Although originally broadcast as a Christmas Special it was broadcast by UKTV as a regular episode from Series #8. Unlike any other Christmas Special it was aired regularly. At that time, in fact, it was the only Christmas Special ever broadcast.

Now, when the Series #7 & 8 DVD came out in July 2009 it was noted that it was not just 'The Loxley Lozenge' that was edited. I just cannot recall the specific details of the other two but think one was 'Catching Digby's Donkey' and the edit had nothing to do with Crusher. Weird thing was DVD had one scene taken out but another extra to what was being broadcast around that time by UKTV.

I do not go with this edit of 'The Loxley Lozenge' to get the DVD sequence in respect of Crusher right. In the DVD set it put separate from Series #8 regular episodes on Disk #3 with 'Getting Sam Home'. Joe Public can watch it without reference to other episodes. As it says on the box, "some episodes have been edited for contractual reasons'.

Now, when the Series #7 & 8 DVD came out in July 2009 it was noted that it was not just 'The Loxley Lozenge' that was edited. I just cannot recall the specific details of the other two but think one was 'Catching Digby's Donkey' and the edit had nothing to do with Crusher. Weird thing was DVD had one scene taken out but another extra to what was being broadcast around that time by UKTV.

I do not go with this edit of 'The Loxley Lozenge' to get the DVD sequence in respect of Crusher right. In the DVD set it put separate from Series #8 regular episodes on Disk #3 with 'Getting Sam Home'. Joe Public can watch it without reference to other episodes. As it says on the box, "some episodes have been edited for contractual reasons'.

Wonderful what you can find when you search the archives. First to correct an error in my last post. The Series #7 & 8 DVD came out in March 2008. (July 2009 was the DVD Region 4 Australia version).

In March 2008 someone with the handle, 'Compo, Foggy and Clegg' posted:

“Does anybody else notice we lose and scene in 'Catching Digby's Donkey' and 'The Loxley Lozenge' but gain a scene which isn't on Drama or Gold in 'Who's Looking After the Café Then?' where Foggy puts the cups out and Compo is carrying the box of crisps?”

Then, a wee bit later, he/she added:

"Forgot to say the scenes I lost on the discs are Crusher's first scene in 'The Loxley Lozenge' and Pearl's first scene in the Café in 'Catching Digby's Donkey'"

that was me unc with my username on the GOLD website, I knew I had wrote something but assumed it had been deleted off there site a long time ago seeing its over 5 years old

But when Loxley Lozenge was shown on BBC TV for the VERY FIRST TIME in 1984, was Crusher's scene there?

It seems a bit daft editing crusher out of Loxley in all/some subsequent repeats, when re-arranging the episode order (to how it was originally intended) would be more satisfactory.

Though I suppose in some ways the original transmission order could be preferable.

It's not unusual for sitcom episodes to be hastily put in a different sequence just before original transmission. Black Adder II suffered a similar fete, and I think Extras did too.

As well as Crusher's scene being removed, so was his on-screen credit too. The BBC went to a lot of trouble to remove all trace of Crusher in Loxley, though his scene does keep re-surfacing from time to time.

Back