More funny lines

George

Super Moderator
When You Take A Good Bite Yorkshire Tastes Terrible

Wally Batty "Well they say America's the land of opportunity.He'd have never fallen out of an aeroplane around here."

Ha, yeah good old Wally, what a character also i think this was his last appearance.
When You Take A Good Bite Yorkshire Tastes Terrible

Wally Batty "Well they say America's the land of opportunity.He'd have never fallen out of an aeroplane around here."

When was Smiler's first appearance copmpared to Wally's last appearance? Could it be (and maybe it is a stretch) that Smiler somewhat replaced the role of Wally. Both were characters of hard luck, always treated poorly, and put into difficult circumstances. Now, the more I think about it, I realize that Smiler rented under Nora whe he first entered the show, so maybe there is something to that.

Cleggy and Foggy talking about old schoolteachers......
Foggy "you couldnt get away with it in the thirties""
Cleggy "you mean before education became optional!"

Downhill Racer

Seymour "I was reputed to have something of a voice"
Compo "What made you change it for the one you've got now ?"

Seymour: "I wish I had met Marjorie earlier!"
Compo: "Marjorie who?"
Clegg: "Earlier, Marjorie Earlier."

Dancing Feet

Compo "By eck she's horrible"
Clegg "It's true,she's really horrible"
Seymour "That's a fella you idiot"

Set The People Free...

Compo.."What;s tha doing Wall?"
Wally..."I'm just washing out these Emulsion brushes so we can start on another colour. Life's full of interest, it's just one giddy sensation after another"

Getting Sam Home.

Sam "No cream cakes,no animal fats,no fornication.
Clegg "Well i,ts time you packed it in,anyway.cream cakes at your age,disgusting!

Unexplored by man....

Compo...."Wall, what's life like in your bedroom?"
Wally....."I'd sooner be wi' me Pigeons"

The Self Propelled Salad Strainer

Compo - "Well, come on, give us a hand"
Foggy - "Picking Flowers? No job for a trained killer"
Compo - "Well, all right then, pick stinging nettles"

Return of the warrior

Clegg"suddenly,life is like first class mail..there doesnt seem to be any urgency
anymore"

Pardon me for paraphrasing. In the episode, In Which Howard Remembers Where He Left His Bicycle Pump, the ladies are in a bus to the bun baking competition. Nora and Ivey are towards the front. They spot Miss Davenport in the back with her container of buns.

Nora "What is she doing here?"
Ivey "I think she's going to the competition"
Nora "I didn't think they allowed unmarried buns!"

As I mentioned before, I absolutely love the ladies (sometimes as much as the men). I enjoy the physical and situational aspect of the comedy behind the guys even more than the dialogue. But as for the ladies, I really enjoy their lines, especially at coffee time.

I think it is because they remind me of my grandmother, who, into her 80's, would sit at her front porch with her elderly friend and comment about everyone they knew. They would be obsessed with everyone's parking, which is a quite different situation than that in Summer Wine.

I think Eli replaced Wally, as he died soon after the last episode of 1987, and Eli was introduced earlier and probably thought that Eli would be a good enough replacement. I think He could have also been a replacement for Crusher.

The Loxley lozenge

Nora "you just sit there.I wonder sometimes if you,d ever miss me if i left"
Wally "We could give it a try"

The Kiss and Mavis Poskit

Nora (to Mavis Poskit) “You know the one .If her skirts were any shorter she'd have to wash behind her ears”

The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty

Compo “You haven't got much of a grip there Wal”
Wally “As much as I need for anything that's available to a man of my age”

Go With the Flow

Missionary “Have you read your Bible?”
Clegg “Not this morning,I haven't finished me paper yet”

Serenade for tight jeans and metal detector

Compo"hey up things must be serious if Foggys opened his purse.Iwouldn,t
bother with that,Foggy.Weve been decimalised since tha were last in there"

Back