My Trip to Holmfirth Today

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
It turned out to be a great day weather wise,in fact the storms did not arrive until we reached home.My first location hunt was the viaduct used in "Wild Blue Yonder" there was nowhere easy to get a decent picture,though I did get a couple of distant shots from a side road,in a attempt to get a better picture we went down a unmade road for about 1 mile,over a narrow canal bridge and ended up in some chaps garden field,he came straight out and we ended up having a good chat,a super house that he bought about 30 years ago,the piece of land of several acres was in between the River Calder and canal, it had stable blocks with Dovecotes in the roof and a detached bungalow for visitors,sadly due to their age he and his wife are looking for somewhere much easier to manage.

On arrival in Holmfirth we were met with a long traffic jam, turns out they are resurfacing the bus station and car park,so that was all blocked off,so parking was a problem,but we did manage to pop into Sid's Cafe for tea and a sticky bun,we also tried kicking the webcam.

Most of the day was then taken up with filming the local area as a friend had loaned me a tiny video camera,not much bigger than a match box,it has a really wide angle lens,I will edit the film this week and post some clips, the trip has worn me out,so I am off to bed soon, Terry

Curious about where you ate/drank??

The Old Bridge seems to have stopped being a pub and is
now more a restaurant. The coffee bar has displaced
our table.

Brambles is more a wine bar and less a pub.

We ate often up at the Fleece in Holme, and had
a few (many !!!) ales at the Nook in Holmfirth where
we often sat and talked with some older after-work
gents. (The Nook has some really nice ales!!)

Has the Butcher's Arms re-opened? Any good?

Sounds like a good visit terry.

Look forward to the clips.

I might try a visit there again soon - but hopefully before the school holidays clog everything up.

our table.

Hi Chuck,I did not get around to many of the older spots as I was tracking down locations,as the town was chaos I was towards the west side for most of the time,so other than a quick pop into Sid's cafe for lunch went to Compo's cafe and had a great meat pie and chips with tea for around £8,that was followed by popping over to Meltham then Marsden,then into Huddersfield to what was the other Lodges supermarket

our table.

The chili con carne at Beatty's is great!

Back