of funerals and fish comedy playhouse

monty

never started watching last of the summer wine to I see it on uk gold in the 90s was bon in the 60s was on in the 70s but never watch it did not think a lot of it at that time to young don't know how it happen but the first time I watch summer wine was the playhouse of funerals and fish some think click in my head and from that day never stop watching it. what's the first one you see for the first time if you can remember it

Last edited:
Lucky you, you started at the beginning, that's always a good start :)

As the King of Hearts instructed the White Rabbit, "Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop." Generally good advice, but for Last of the Summer Wine viewing, I recommend ignoring the last piece of the instructions — substituting "repeat" for "then stop".

As the King of Hearts instructed the White Rabbit, "Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop." Generally good advice, but for Last of the Summer Wine viewing, I recommend ignoring the last piece of the instructions — substituting "repeat" for "then stop".
the white wabbit was right but end for me was when compo passed on:'( but its never at the end for me repeat repeat repeat:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
My first exposure to the show was actually the Compo passing trilogy. Of course, I had no idea who Compo was and didn't realize it was significant at the time, I was just interested in seeing Frank Thornton in a comedy series again. My local PBS station ran that series and the one after and then dropped the show. At the time the only other option was expensive DVDs on Amazon so I sadly let the show go, but never forgot about it.

Several years later I discovered most of the show's run was on YouTube and began watching at random. I knew from Wikipedia Compo's relevance and after watching some episodes at random decided the proper thing was to watch from the beginning. So it's been a constant rotation of the show ever since (now on DVD), always starting with Of Funerals and Fish.

My beginning of Summer Wine was a bit unusual. I am repeating earlier statements, so for those veterans here that have been here for a while and have great memory, please forgive me. However, this is also for those new here. My wife discovered it by accident while recording Keeping Up Appearances. Summer Wine came on right before KUA.

My very first episode was IN Which Gavin Hinchcliffe Loses the Gulf Stream. So the post-Compo era was the norm for me. It still affects me today because I tend not to focus on the trio. I always love watching the extras as well, like Smiler, Eli, Barry, and Glenda. And I always loved the ladies. Everytime I watch Nora I am always amazed at how much she reminds me of my late grandmother, with her tone, mannerisms, etc.

Shortly afterwards I discovered the same PBS station aired Summer Wine on Saturdays and I caught Seymour's first series. This was before the Hobbo era so the weekday Summer Wine returned to the Blamire years. So it took a while until I actually discovered Foggy.

I first started watching LOTSW when my Husband Stephen was in a nursing home a few months before he died, if memory serves my right it was "Three men and a mangle" and I saw him laugh for the first time in almost a year, it was wonderful and I have been hooked ever since, these lovely funny stories brought to life by amazing actors made a sick and dying man laugh and I will be for ever grateful.
:smile:

Back